My upstream ISP does not support IPv6

The biggest complaint that I hear from ISPs, is that their upstream ISP does not support IPv6 or will not provide them with a native IPv6 circuit.

Is that bull?

I thought the whole backbone is IPv6 now, and it is only the residential ISPs that are still figuring it out because CPE are still not there yet.

Where can I get more information? Any list of peering ISPs that have IPv6 as part of their products?

It seems to me the typical answer sales people say when asked about IPv6: "Gosh, this is the first time I'm asked this one".

The biggest complaint that I hear from ISPs, is that their upstream ISP does not support IPv6 or will not provide them with a native IPv6 circuit.

I know of a few regional ISPs that don't (yet) support IPv6.

As far as carriers go, some seem to support it readily, and others seem like they're being dragged into it kicking and screaming. With the IPv4 well running dry in some sense, the people who aren't supporting it yet will have to realize sooner or later that they're swimming against the tide.

It seems to me the typical answer sales people say when asked about IPv6: "Gosh, this is the first time I'm asked this one".

In some organizations, that's an organizational problem. In others, it just means you got the wrong salesdroid...

jms

There's some survey data related to this topic presented in the latest Worldwide Infrastructure Security Report, available at <http://www.arbornetworks.com/report>.

This seems ironic, given the number of ISPs I've heard say "There's no
customer demand."
--Richard

There is a wikipedia article on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_IPv6_support_by_major_transit_providers

It's not very marketing nor deep in details. There are also a variety of other sites as well with various lists that are more focused on the edge networks such as:

http://www.sixxs.net/faq/connectivity/?faq=native

I'm not aware of a fully comprehensive list, but it may be worthwhile to ask over on the ipv6-ops list with further details about where you are located or looking at desiring service:

http://lists.cluenet.de/mailman/listinfo/ipv6-ops

There's good discussion over there, and a great resource if you are looking for details on enabling IPv6.

- Jared

I've just been trying to persuade our upstream provider that they can actually get IPv6 addresses. They seem to be operating under the belief that they can only get IPv6 addresses once they're running out of IPv4 before going through the usual justification business. It seems bizarre that they've specifically gone to the extent of testing and changing their infrastructure to ensure it's fully IPv6 capable, yet not go all the way and actually get a range or poll customers to find out if they're interested in one.

I sent them this link : https://www.arin.net/resources/request/ipv6_initial_alloc.html and brought their attention to point 1. Yet to hear back from them..

Paul

The biggest complaint that I hear from ISPs, is that their upstream ISP
does not support IPv6 or will not provide them with a native IPv6 circuit.

I know of a few regional ISPs that don't (yet) support IPv6.

As far as carriers go, some seem to support it readily, and others seem like
they're being dragged into it kicking and screaming. With the IPv4 well
running dry in some sense, the people who aren't supporting it yet will have
to realize sooner or later that they're swimming against the tide.

1) in which city you exist
2) in which city does IPV6 support exist for the carrier(s) you choose
to do business with
3) can you get your sales-droid to actually sleep eye-pee-vee-six and
sell it to you?

how many times, for the simple case, has someone piped up on nanog
(here) about VZB and their attempts to find someone with a clue about
getting ipv6 enabled? (I can easily count 10 in the last ~4 years) The
same goes for ATT and L3...

I believe all of these carriers (and NTT since I see Jared responding
as well) have v6 capabilities, they may hide SOME of their issues in
marketting-speak: "Oh, we have that available in 75% of our pops(*)"
(* in south-east oozbekistan) or "We offer ipv6 to the customers of
our Mananged Internet Services network(*)" (* wholesale internet is
not currently able to signup/route ipv6)

Asking straight, clear, concise questions of your sales driod, finding
his management when he's unable to answer satisfactorily, and parsing
the answers closely is your only way forward. (I think)

-Chris

I can provide anecdotal feedback on this. When we did v6 on our network - we did it to full v4 parity. I.e. if we offer v4 / HSRP redundancy / BGP full table, etc in a given site, we need to be able to do the same with v6. We acheived that. At this point I had a decent v6 network, but was isolated from the world. I had to talk to upstreams.

In a nutshell, it was non-trivial. The upstreams in question will remain nameless to protect the guilty, but they are all who some would call 'tier 1'. The common themes were:

- Hmm, don't know our process for that, let me send emails and 'reach out' and get back to you.

- We can do it, but we have to home you to a different router. This will be a provisioning exercise and you will get new /30 (/126, etc) and new circuit ID.

So it was far from simply adding v6 to our existing circuit(s) and another BGP session. It has taken months.

I couldn't quite wait that long so I did a tunnel w/ BGP to Hurricane and got it up in a matter of days. At that point, at least I could traceroute somewhere :slight_smile: We are just now finishing up getting native on our transit circuits.

IPv6 from both of my upstream providers has been "coming soon" for about a year and a half.

One is a very major national provider, one is a regional which is connected to numerous national carriers.

The major national provider is supposed to be swapping out equipment any day now in order to support IPv6. The regional is claiming that their upstreams do not have IPv6 support yet. Their upstream providers certainly do have IPv6, but I do not know if they are not offering it to their downstream ISP customers.

I don't know, but as a company that manages the internet operations for numerous ISPs, and needs to have full monitoring capability for said customers, it is frustrating not to have native IPv6.

-Randy

So it was far from simply adding v6 to our existing circuit(s) and another
BGP session. It has taken months.

You don't need a new BGP session to turn on IPv6, you just need to
enable IPv6 NLRI on your V4 session..

So, in theory your upstream can enable IPv6 on their side and then
wait until you are ready.. It helps to have a IPv6 address on the
link, but it does not need to carry the the BGP session over IPv6..

This is a feature that also simplifies your IBGP..

-P

(My mother has had IPv6 since 2007, and she lives in the boonies!)

Hi Franck,

The biggest complaint that I hear from ISPs, is that their upstream
ISP does not support IPv6 or will not provide them with a native IPv6
circuit.

Is that bull?

I thought the whole backbone is IPv6 now, and it is only the
residential ISPs that are still figuring it out because CPE are still
not there yet.

Where can I get more information? Any list of peering ISPs that have IPv6 as part of their products?

There is a list of LIRs (ISPs) in RIPE NCC service region that have some aspects of IPv6 sorted out:
- got address space
- registered route6 in Routing Registry
- got reverse DNS delegation
- and are visible in ris.ripe.net

If they have all "4 stars", they are listed here (per country)

That still does not mean that they are offering IPv6 to their customers, but it is a good indication.

I hope this helps,
Vesna

(IPv6 Ripeness goddess :wink:

I waited years and finally turned up a transit to L3 for additional bandwidth (had to wait for GE support from the other 2, of which 1 still can't give me a GE) and luckily native v6. Within 30 days I should have a cogent 10G, and I hear I'll get v6 there as well.

I'm still waiting for v6 on the original 2, but I can live with what I have.

Jack

We have been working diligently for more than 6 months to try and get a /56 routed to one of our offices in metro Atlanta. The carrier in question is a Tier 1 as well as being one of the old telecom names. I have the entire chain of emails documenting the carrier's struggles with internal process and technical issues. We are currently waiting for a new edge router to be ready to transfer our existing circuits to. Not that it matters but we were also told that we would be moved from a Cisco to a Juniper. Once I realized how much of a struggle that was turning into I contacted some of our other providers (a mix of Tier 1 & 2 ISPs and collocation providers) as of this moment none of them (though some seem close) are actually prepared to deliver IPv6 connectivity where we need it despite some of them already touting preparedness.

What I think is worth remembering is that there are a _lot_ of moving parts to get right to actually route an IPv6 block down a connection. Some of those parts are technical like making sure an edge router that may have been in place for years can handle IPv6 traffic _and_ that addition won't cause a CPU or other issue on the specific platform you're looking at. Some of the others are simply business process pieces like making sure contracts, internal and external documentation, and work flow that need to be updated.

TLDR version, marketing often fails to reflect reality :slight_smile:

Does anyone know how partitioned Cogent is these days?

~Seth

Can we start naming names and locations for both sides of the answer? My last v6 queries are a few years out of date, so no point in sharing them.

Well, I take that back.

Amazon AWS - "No." But I'm asking again, that's a few months old.

My experience with trying to get a circuit turned up with Verizon boiled
down to two things:

1) Failure to meet the standards of my existing IPv6 connections in
carrying PI /48 (apparently now changed).
2) Failure to home the circuit on a router that supported IPv6. Month
after month they would keep placing it to an IPv4-only router and I
would refuse to accept it until it was moved to an IPv6 capable router.
It never happened.

They said they could do it, but couldn't figure out how.

~Seth

IPv6 from both of my upstream providers has been "coming soon" for about a year and a half.

I'm getting ready to try to enable IPv6 natively with Above.net in the Chicago area. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks,
Ryan Wilkins

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents....

We're pretty much done with going dual-stack on circuits from Tiscali,
GBLX, Cogent, NTT/Verio, XO, and Telia.

Done as in it is complete and working? Or done as in you gave up trying?

-Randy

Speaking as the NTT (2914) people, i'm sure it's working. If it's not, they should phone support. IPv6 is a production service with production support.

It would also break a fair amount of internal stuff if our IPv6 was not working properly.

- Jared