Time for a lounge mailing list

It's been clear for a very long time that the NANOG crowd likes to socialize. At NANOGs, social settings are where connections are made, beers consumed, sometimes scuba dives shared or other local attractions explored. It is certainly a good thing, and fosters much useful discussion among peers who become friends.

That said, the nanog@nanog.org mailing list often is overrun with non-operational discussion. Certainly there are some good examples today, such as job titles, or arguing about the best way to rid the list of a troll.

Creation of a second mailing list to handle non-operational, social traffic for the nanog crowd would be one way to keep the main list on topic. Might even boost productivity, as folks could more easily defer reading and responding to the non-operational stuff until their off-hours.

So how about it? lounge@nanog.org? offtopic@nanog.org?

It's been clear for a very long time that the NANOG crowd likes to socialize. At NANOGs, social settings are where connections are made, beers consumed, sometimes scuba dives shared or other local attractions explored. It is certainly a good thing, and fosters much useful discussion among peers who become friends.

That said, the nanog@nanog.org mailing list often is overrun with non-operational discussion. Certainly there are some good examples today, such as job titles, or arguing about the best way to rid the list of a troll.

Creation of a second mailing list to handle non-operational, social traffic for the nanog crowd would be one way to keep the main list on topic. Might even boost productivity, as folks could more easily defer reading and responding to the non-operational stuff until their off-hours.

So how about it? lounge@nanog.org? offtopic@nanog.org?

The IETF has found an "attendees" list useful.

Marshall

I'm sending this to the proper request email.

This is a decent idea that I support.

NANOG Crew please read the below email and consider establishing a separate "socializing" email address so operational topics only exist on the current email list.

Cheers
Marla Azinger

snark@nanog.org. :wink:

nanog-chat@nanog.org?

lounge is good - off topic seems to say that *no* operational content
will be discussed, whereas with "lounge" we can simply move long
threads most people don't care about over there (ie: trolling, TDM,
etc)

-Jack Carrozzo

lounge is good - off topic seems to say that *no* operational content
will be discussed, whereas with "lounge" we can simply move long
threads most people don't care about over there (ie: trolling, TDM,
etc)

What is the point of NANOG hosting such a thing. If people want
to socialize then let them set up a profile on multiply.com and add
NANOG as a friend. http://nanog.multiply.com/

Then we can just remind people to take the non technical
discussions to the social networking site.

--Michael Dillon

Everyone- this conversation should take place at nanog-futures@nanog.org. That list is for meta-discussions like this.

Thanks!

Kris

I find that mailing lists flow much better than the discussions on social networking sites. The tools available to manage messages on forums and social networking sites are typically very primitive.

There's a reason that the lions's share of technical discussions occur on mailing lists and over IRC (esp in the OSS world).

nanog-chat or nanog-lounge lists sound great to me.

Cheers,

Rob

The irony is overwhelming.

Interesting idea. Then we'll start posting at nanog that there must be
some operational problem because nobody is posting on the other list.

Jorge

-lounge and -chat lists are common in many technical organisations I'm a member of. They are generally used the way they are intended to be used. Tech types tend to be a lot better than an average person at following list rules, in my experience.

Cheers,

Rob

I support the creation of a "lounge" list as well. Often times people posit
ideas or concepts on the NANOG list that may not directly fall under the
requirements of the list. A "lounge" type list would be a great catch-all
and could take some of the perceived off-topic discussion to another list.
In that case, if you don't like the volume of "non NANOG" business you can
just unsubscribe. It cleans up this list and I feel it would probably
strengthen this community as bit as well.

nanog-sec@nanog.org - sec like in "secret", and then make it "mediocre operators
only".

Seriously, +1 - keep^W let this one become operational again.

SCNR,

.m