Steve Jobs has died

Not entirely on-list-topic, but still relevant.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20116336-37/apple-co-founder-chairman-steve-jobs-dies/?tag=cnetRiver

"Don't be trapped by dogma. Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. Everything else is secondary." - Steve Jobs 2005

You will be missed.

http://www.apple.com/stevejobs/

Sad day for all concerned in the tech industry. RIP

Andrew

Sad day for all. He will be missed

I remember the first 'real' program I wrote waay back in 1985 on an
Apple IIe. It was a very simple reminder program that would show me my
todo list for the day.

Wonder if they'll be holding an iPhone-camera-flash-bulb vigil outside
the Apple stores. :wink:

-A

If no Steve à blind man can not use iPhone

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Steve Jobs passing is very sad and has affected me more than I thought it
would. He was and still will be in many regards the gold standard on which
innovators in the world of technology will be measured. He has had an effect
on many aspects of the world we live in today. You can see the ripple
effects of what two guys and some ICs in a garage did so long ago. You can
see his influence not only in the technology we use today but
in corporate culture, media, art and social interaction.

He was a man of passion and conviction. That is why he succeeded. He
was unyielding to what he thought was the right way to do something. This
may have cause many to think that he was a "Jerk" or "Hard to work with",
but it was those passions for doing it right that made him and Apple a
success.

I am not trying to say that it was all swings and roundabouts, but if you
were watching you could see that as Steve grew up so did Apple. In the end I
think he got mostly right.

Apple please keep Steve's legacy going. Still keep innovating and don't
be afraid to take chances.

I wish the best for Steve's family. Steve you will be missed. God's
speed.

I heard the news while in my car - I turned on the radio and they were in the middle of listing major Apple innovations and I realized it must be a Steve Jobs obit. Then they said he was 56. Suddenly I recalled the passing of Jon Postel. Two great minds who both had a large effect on our industry, and who were both taken far too young. RIP.

jc

In some circles, he's being compared to Thomas Edison. Apply your own
opinion there whether you feel that's accurate or not. I'll just state
this: Both men were pasionate about what they did. They each changed
the world and left it better than they found it.

-Wayne

It's probably not a bad analogy, like Ford and many other champions of industry he didn't invent groundbreaking technology (Edison's only invention was the phonograph IIRC, all else was improvements on existing technology). They took what was already in existence and did something amazing with it: made it accessible, be it through price, ease of use or whatever.

Paul

Steve demonstrated any number of times, when excellent hardware + software engineering + quality control is applied, even "commodity" products are able to provide good returns. In this view, the analogy holds when price alone is not considered.

-Doug

And, like Edison, Mr. Jobs fiercely championed his own technologies over all others; just one example is in the field of electricity where Edison's DC lost the war to Tesla's AC. Time has yet to tell how well Mr. Jobs' walled garden devices and OS's do, finally.

Edison would have loved today's intellectual property wars and software patents and their attendent trolls. And Edison would have been right at home with the concept of lock-in.

Brilliant man, Edison was, and he did do a great deal for humanity in general. But historical facts are historical facts.

Don't get me wrong; I have a great deal of respect for both men, even though I disagree with some of their ideologies and methods. And the phonograph really was pure brilliance.

Lamar Owen wrote:

products are able to provide good returns. In this view, the analogy holds when price alone is not considered.

And, like Edison, Mr. Jobs fiercely championed his own technologies over all others; just one example is in the field of electricity where Edison's DC lost the war to Tesla's AC. Time has yet to tell how well Mr. Jobs' walled garden devices and OS's do, finally.

A bit late, but I found this quote in relation to the topic quite interesting and perhaps fitting a not all too uncommon sentiment:

http://www.stallman.org/archives/2011-sep-dec.html#27_October_2011_(Steve_Jobs)

"Mayor Washington's words (..):

When he says that he would hope that I would have all the good qualities of past mayors, there are no good qualities of past mayors to be had. None. None. None. None.

I did not mourn at the bier of the late mayor. I regret anyone dying. I have no regrets about him leaving."