Small Internet border router options?

What are using for small campus border routers? So four to eight 10G ports with a FIB for full scale L3?

Tom

Juniper MX204, Nokia SR1/SR1s or for the cheaper side Mikrotik CCR2216

Hi Tom.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity.

Best regards,

Hoi Tom,

What are using for small campus border routers? So four to eight 10G ports with a FIB for full scale L3?

If you're into open source, take a look at VPP [https://fd.io/\] which does a good job at ~100Gbit or below.
VPP Linux CP - Part7 | IPng Networks

I built a 10G european ring with a bunch of these supermicro/dell servers at AS8298:

groet,
Pim

Hi Tom.

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Infinity.

What version of firmware are you using?

We have never seen our box (an ER-8-XG) route packets for more than about an hour before it falls over.

If you have having better luck with this and would be open to helping us, please let me know - we'd greatly appreciate it.

You have to turn off netflow to get full performance from the XGs.

-mel via cell

Best regards,
     What are using for small campus border routers? So four to eight
  10G ports with a FIB for full scale L3?

vMX, XRv, vEOS, …. There are several virtual routers that might meet your requirements, since you did not specify traffic requirements, and you wouldnt have to deal with crap s/w.

Probably cheaper than an 8xg too.

+1 on the CCR2216 routers, rock-solid stuff…

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Used/Refurbished Cisco ASR 900 or 1000 family, perhaps ?

Rubens

+1 on the Ubiquiti Infinity… I’ve used a number of them in various roles… Linux based and have had 1 hardware failure after a couple years. Try to keep bridging to a minimum as it’ll eat the processor, but for routed traffic, no issues.

/rh

The old Foundry/Brocade CER 4X-RT series will also do if you only need 4 ports and are cheap as all get out on the secondary market, though FIB scale is starting to become a little concerning if you need full-scale IPv4+IPv6. The software is mature and stable though lacking some modern niceties.