Sad IPv4 story?

I just had a personal email from a brand new ISP in the Asia-Pacific area desperately looking for enough IPv4 to be able to run their business the way they would like…

This is just a data point.

I hear those are $12/each.

How much do they have in the budget for this?

Matthew Kaufman

Interesting data point.

Would be more interesting to find out "the way they would like". For instance, is it a "bullet-proof" hoster who promises each spammer 1K IP addresses across dozens of discontiguous /24s?

Or is it a DSL provider with 10K subs, and APNIC would only give them a /22 until next year?

We're going to be hearing a lot more of these. It's the nature of finite resources, and of human nature when faced with them. At some point, this will find its way into courtrooms under the rubric of a barrier to entry. It already has in terms of antitrust when a company wanted to move its PA prefix to different upstream.

Option 2) and think country wide ISP growing very fast.

+1 to Fred's comments. Hopefully, the existence of an open IPv4 address market will help avoid some of the worst. (At least for a while, until the rising prices get too high for a competitive environment. And maybe by then the price of IPv4 addresses will have made IPv6 deployment a much more obvious choice to reluctant CFO-types.)

Cheers,
-Benson

I've had transit service pulled, so the provider can reclaim the /21 that was bundled with the transit.

- Mark

I'm sorry to hear about that... Do you know why they reclaimed the block? E.g. was it used to support a "higher margin" service for another customer?

-Benson

Leased line customers.

I suspect the opposite is in fact true - if there is an open market, many sites
will continue deluding themselves and make the end game that much more painful.
If you haven't been able to sell the CFO types on the need to deploy IPv6 *yet*
(consider that you *should* have been specifying "Ipv6-ready" on capex for at
least 4-5 years already, so most of the gear on the floor should be ready to
go), you're going to be *screwed* when you finally get moving. Among other
things, all the *good* IPv6 experts will already have found good gigs, and it's
gonna either take a bigger paycheck to headhunt one, or you'll be stuck with
the dregs of the market (either way, it will cost you more).

I've had recruiters calling me about IPv6 related jobs for at least 2 years now.

Some are full-time, others contract work.

If you haven't IPv6 enabled your capable devices yet, get on it. Most providers
will give you IPv6 for free now, and will allocate you space from their blocks.

If you are an ARIN member, you can get your block of IPv6 address by submitting a simple
form as long as you already have IPv4 space.

Get on it, make them work this month and have your space already allocated prior to the
start of 2012.

- jared

+1, mostly contract stuff that I've had to turn down because my travel
capacity is limited nowadays. From the standpoint of IPv6, it's already
"next quarter."

Doug

If you are an ARIN member, you can get your block of IPv6 address by submitting a simple

Not exactly...

1. You don't have to be an ARIN member.
2. Even if you don't have IPv4 space, you can still use a simple form. You just need to put a little more information on that form.

Owen

If you haven't IPv6 enabled your capable devices yet, get on it. Most providers
will give you IPv6 for free now, and will allocate you space from their blocks.

Get on it, make them work this month and have your space already allocated prior to the
start of 2012.

I can tell you that (as of Dec 2011) *lots and lots* of networks (big ones, even some of the biggest) are in no real position to support nearly universal customer IPv6 service yet. There are networks that have IPv6 "somewhere".. but even where we've been requesting IPv6 turned up alongside existing IPv4 sessions sometimes the turnaround is months and months with lots of repeated banging -- even where the gear and the uplinks support it.

Some of this is that (esp internal) tools still aren't where they need to be. Some of this is that once we IPv6 becomes the "standard"... well, security and other concerns will challenge all the infrastructure in place.

And this is all before you get into issues of inconsistent views of the IPv6 RIB, and the rest.

Just my opinion, hopefully someone else has a better experience.

DJ

I can tell you that (as of Dec 2011) *lots and lots* of networks (big ones, even some of the biggest) are in no real position to support nearly universal customer IPv6 service yet. There are networks that have IPv6 "somewhere".. but even where we've been requesting IPv6 turned up alongside existing IPv4 sessions sometimes the turnaround is months and months with lots of repeated banging -- even where the gear and the uplinks support it.

I think you are working with the wrong carriers in that case perhaps? As part of a turn-up this year, IPv6 was a standard question, including the IP/BGP request form that had separate tabs for IPv6 and address space requests along-side the IPv4 BGP/space request. The cases were with Cogent and Abovenet for connections in the US. I know that NTT can also do IPv6 as well. I think that some of what you may be terming the big-guys such as at&t and verizon/uunet are still behind the curve but they are largely in the managed services and not internet space from what I can tell. Internet is a side thing they sell and not a primary line of business.

Some of this is that (esp internal) tools still aren't where they need to be. Some of this is that once we IPv6 becomes the "standard"... well, security and other concerns will challenge all the infrastructure in place.

I do agree that most tools seem to be IPv4 centric these days at least for management of the device (Eg: no SNMP over IPv6 only).

You can do much of the monitoring over IPv6.

And this is all before you get into issues of inconsistent views of the IPv6 RIB, and the rest.

While this still exists, this is something that will resolve itself with increased adoption.

Just my opinion, hopefully someone else has a better experience.

My experience as well.

- Jared

I just had a personal email from a brand new ISP in the Asia-Pacific
area desperately looking for enough IPv4 to be able to run their
business the way they would like…

and we are supposed to be surprised or feel sorry? you're kidding,
right? they're lucky to be in a/p. at least they can get a /22.

i especially like the "the way they would like" part. the way i would
like to run my business is to go into the office every friday and scoop
up the cash that fell from the sky all week.

reality is such a pain in the ass.

randy

business the way they would like…

and we are supposed to be surprised or feel sorry? you're kidding,
right? they're lucky to be in a/p. at least they can get a /22.

i especially like the "the way they would like" part. the way i would
like to run my business is to go into the office every friday and scoop
up the cash that fell from the sky all week.

reality is such a pain in the ass.

randy

+1 aren't we way past all of the predicted exhaustion dates. There are slot of as's that have ignored this.

Sorry to hear you had to reintroduce v4. I suppose if dinosaurs were
still around we'd have to capitulate to them too. The people who see a
T-rex and say "hey I thought they were extinct?!" would just get eaten. but
I digress. I'm not sure I'd open a new ISP at this point and expect to get
any respectable amount of IP space from the RIR right now.

funny thing about tools. good ones are around and used for years, decades,
  centuries, while others have a much shorter shelf life.

the craftsman 3/16" and the 1/4" phillips I got from my grandfather and will
  likely end up w/ one of my grandsons. the pocket fisherman and the 87blade
  pocket knife are ebay fodder...

its not about capitulation, its about usefullness. the only concern about
  IPv4 these days is one of global uniqueness. the big win, if you can call it
  a big win is that there is much less potential pressure on the global routing
  table if you stick w/ IPv4. (*)

* in both v4/v6 families, the prospect of fully routing /32s scares to socks off most
  sane engineers. the horror of v6 is fully routing /48s!!!!

/bill

business the way they would like?

This sniping elicited by the above seems inappropriate and
unprofessional, the request/anecdote seemed reasonable and could
elicit solutions such as partnerships, etc.