Reporting DDOS reflection attacks

Like most small providers, we occasionally get hit by DoS attacks. We got hammered by an SSDP
reflection attack (udp port 1900) last week. We took a 27 second log and from there extracted
about 160k unique IPs.

It is really difficult to find abuse emails for 160k IPs.

We know about abuse.net but abuse.net requires hostnames, not IPs for lookups and not all IP
addresses have valid DNS entries.

The only other way we know of to report problems is to grab the abuse email addresses is whois.
However, whois is not structured and is not set up to deal with this number of requests - even
caching whois data based on subnets will result in many thousands of lookups.

Long term it seems like structured data and some kind of authentication would be ideal for reporting
attacks. But right now how should we be doing it?

<http://www.team-cymru.org/Services/ip-to-asn.html>

Once you get the ASN or at least the domain name of the ISP providing
service to the reflecting host, several major reputable ISPs
(including my employer, who I can't name because I'm not an official
spokesperson) will welcome RFC 5070 "IODEF" reports for general
network abuse and RFC 5965 "MARF" format for email abuse, directed to
abuse@ the main domain for that ISP.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5070.txt

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc5965.txt

Out of curiosity, have any of you had luck reporting the sources of attacks
to the admins of the origin ASNs?

Any failure or success stories you can share?

Macca

In my experience, it's the generally broadband access operators who will sometimes respond, when contacted about reflection/amplification attacks leveraging misconfigured, abusable CPE.

Generally speaking, networks running misconfigured, abusable devices by definition aren't very actively managed - and so those operators don't often respond, unless one has personal contacts within the relevant group(s).

YMMV, of course.

Hey,

We've been hit on/off with large scale amplification attacks over the last
few years.

We found looking up src ASN of the attack and reporting is not super
helpful, as many blocks come from sub allocations and you'll just get
redirected to someone else. This will just cause more overhead and legwork
for you in the long run.

Whois data *seems* to be a little more reliable, and there's an abuseEmail
script out there that helps automate the abuse contact lookup (
http://abuseemail.sourceforge.net/ ).

We've added a bit of logic in front of this to aggregate the flows per
destination abuse email, then send a report with all listed flows +
timestamp.

Feel free to ping me offlist if you want some more info on this.

/Ruairi

I can offer an indirect story, and not quite a reflection attack, but a DDoS one.

We happen to have a host that had an IPMI board exposed to the net, that got compromised, and became a vector for a DDoS attack. The target reported the attack to at least some of the sources, including Windstream/Hosted Solutions, where this particular server is located. They contacted me, and I dealt with things with about a 1-hour turn-around from when a trouble ticket hit my inbox (well, still dealing with things - that IPMI card is offline until I get around to securing it, and it's the occasional reboot-by-phone-call until then). So at least one small success.

Miles Fidelman

McDonald Richards wrote:

Thanks, the IP->subnet/ASN lookup and rfc5070 look like exactly what we need to start with. I'm
fairly certain it would have gotten us the same contact for all the IPs we reported last week.

Since IODEF is so flexible, are there any exact guidelines or examples on how to use it to report a
DDOS? For example, should there be a separate XML document for each prefix or one for the entire
list? What I found was https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mile-iodef-guidance-03#page-21 but it
could use some more explanation.

I believe this script is out of date and I would not use this script without doing a thorough
review/update. For example, 100.43.102.0/24 is reported to be reserved but whois clearly shows that
it is allocated to Xplornet Communications Inc. Then when I remove the reserved allocation from the
script, the abuse email returned is arin.net rather than xplornet.com.

Using

dig +short 102.43.100.origin.asn.cymru.com TXT
and then
whois as22995

would have gotten me the same abuse email address as what I originally found.

I've used https://abusix.com/contactdb.html

Be prepared for a lot of backscatter. You'll get autoresponders, automated
ticketing systems sending frequent updates, bounce messages (from full
abuse@ inboxes), and be surveyed for how well they're not performing.

Also, be prepared for ISPs / hosting providers to ask for additional
information, like logs proving the attack came from their customer.

Oh, and be prepared to feel sorry for their customers whose VMs are deleted
for "hacking", rather than being informed of their misconfiguration.

On the bright side, some 10% will actually correct the problem, thereby
costing the attacker a few minutes of work to re-scan for active
amplifiers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Damian
Professional Pessimist

Do you know if third-parties such as SANS ISC or ShadowServer take lists of IPs?

Frank

Another DDoS/DoS email thread in progress, ah?... these seem to occur often lately...

So....Perfect timing to remind all in the list that there is a NANOG BCOP in the works on this topic.

Some of us have been working on documenting our collective knowledge about real practices that
can help our community deal with this annoying networking decease...in a vendor agnostic manner...

Our DDoS/DoS attack Best Common Ops Practices doc seeks to provide community-wide guidelines
on what to do before, during and after a DDoS/DoS attack.

If any of you want to contribute and join us to help the community on what we have documented so far,
please check out the document below and/or drop me a note...

http://bcop.nanog.org/index.php/BCOP_Drafts

Yardiel Fuentes
yardiel@gmail.com
twitter: #techguane

There are some good general recommendations in this document (Word format? Really?), but this is incorrect and harmful, and should be removed:

iii. Consider dropping any DNS reply packets which are larger than 512 Bytes – these are commonly found in DNS DoS Amplification attacks.

This *breaks the Internet*. Don't do it.

Also, abusix is not completely accurate (and they've never responded to my emails reporting problems). For example, any IPs from apnic and nic.ad.jp return the registry's abuse address, which doesn't do anything.

Don't forget about all the providers with incorrect abuse contacts, or providers that require you to fill out some form, or providers that auto-respond with messages saying it's not their IP space (I'm looking at you charter... 71.90.222.x is definitely your space, despite what your abuse system thinks).

Some tips:
1) Verify the servers are still vulnerable. This is pretty straightforward, and saves everyone involved some time
2) Your abuse emails should include tcpdump-like output (or you'll get tons of replies asking for logs)
3) Sticking to one abusive IP per email seems to get the best response rate (or you confuse all the automated systems for parsing these)
4) We provide instructions for fixing the issue for some common software... this seems to help some of the people who have no idea what they are doing.
5) Make sure you don't send this from your email address. It should definitely be it's own mailbox due to volume of bounces and autoreplies you'll see.

Don't expect that sending abuse emails is going to have any noticeable effect on the size of the attacks you see. The openresolverproject stats show the scope of the issue: http://openresolverproject.org/breakdown.cgi

Some tips:
1) Verify the servers are still vulnerable. This is pretty straightforward, and saves everyone
involved some time

For a DDOS, I'd be concerned that the provider would now think my activity was malicious.

2) Your abuse emails should include tcpdump-like output (or you'll get tons of replies asking for logs)

Is the output from nfdump close enough?

3) Sticking to one abusive IP per email seems to get the best response rate (or you confuse all the
automated systems for parsing these)

The smallest email abuse report I sent last week contained over 15,000 IPs. Is it really better to
send that many emails?

+1

actually, if you think this will help you, by all means drop any DNS packets which are gt. 512bytes, not UDP, and not IPv4.

/bill

The whole thing> Really?

Breaking DNS for your customers pretty much breaks the Internet for them, yes.