RE: Fiber cut in SF area

AT&T: 888,000 route miles(1).
Verizon: 485,000 route miles(2).

If we assume that 1/4 of AT&T and Verizon's route-miles are in the US(3), this would mean a capital expense of $666M and $364M respectively, not including any costs incurred for maintenance, monitoring, repair, false positive etc. In addition, as has been noted, this system wouldn't PREVENT a failure, it would just give you some warning that a failure may be coming, probably by a matter of minutes.

In the words of Randy Bush, "I encourage my competitors to do this."

David Barak
Need Geek Rock? Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com

1) http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=4800&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=26554
2) http://mediumbusiness.verizon.com/about/network.aspx
3) I believe this to be an underestimate.

Some statistics about the effectiveness of car alarms and unmonitored house alarms would probably be useful here.

Whack a $5 12v horn on it, and my bet is that it'd become a deterrent pretty quickly.

Nathan Ward wrote:

Whack a $5 12v horn on it, and my bet is that it'd become a deterrent pretty quickly.

Presumes the perp isn't familiar with the hole, and it's security measures. In this case, I doubt that either is the case. Pop in, snip the wires on the horn, and do what you do.

Most of these measures also presume no shared access. I don't know the layout in the area, but I would expect that some manholes/routes are shared usage and maintenance. Not that my rural self remembers what a manhole looks like under the lid. :slight_smile:

I'm betting inside job, which means redundant routes, security measures, etc all tend to go out the window unless some serious money goes into it, and even then, is there a security mechanism that can't be broken?

Jack

Presumes the perp isn't familiar with the hole, and it's security measures. In this case, I doubt that either is the case. Pop in, snip the wires on the horn, and do what you do.

Better they cut the fiber instead of Oklahoma Citying the central office.

telmnstr@757.org wrote:

Better they cut the fiber instead of Oklahoma Citying the central office.

If you're referring to the Event, that scares me every day about the largest meet points in the nation and how much traffic can really fully switch to other paths should one or two disappear completely. On the data side of things, though, while it still takes time, I'm forever impressed at how fast everything comes together to get communications rolling again.

Man-made or natural, disasters bring out the best and the worst. Of course, I mostly see natural disasters; wasn't far from the tornado that decorated the Tandy building in Ft. Worth, was 5 miles from the Tornado in Moore, OK, and was bunkered down in my house in Lone Grove this year.

I've seen 2 man-made disasters and 2 natural disasters so far this year. One was severe at a network level (Building power outage because the NOC chose not to check it out and discover the faulty power transfer switch; batteries died 8 hours later), and 3 were local and only effected a subset of end users due to cable damage (Tornado in Lone Grove back in Feb, wildfires last week in Lone Grove, and one of our nearby towns had an oversized truck grab the overhead cable and drag it down the road, ripping poles out of the ground, and of course he didn't stick around to pay the bill).

If you're referring to our infrastructure, no comment but lots of laughter.

I really haven't considered the SF fiber cut to be a big deal. It may effect more people, but it's still a couple minor cuts.

From the back woods,

Jack

I'm not sure that the "someone will alway s find the weakest link" argument can be summed up any better than this.

If you don't believe it, you all need to spend more time in the big room with the blue ceiling outside of your colos/DCs.

Daryl