OVH datacenter SBG2 in Strasbourg on fire 🔥

Very sad day for our colleagues at OVH AS16276 as they lost their datacenter SBG-2 in Strasbourg/France completly („everything is destroyed“) in a fire :fire: and the neighboring SBG1/SBG3/SBG4 at least temporary.

https://www.dna.fr/amp/faits-divers-justice/2021/03/10/strasbourg-important-incendie-dans-une-entreprise-situee-sur-un-site-seveso-au-port-du-rhin

Sad to see of course, but also a little surprising that fire suppression systems didn’t, well, suppress the fire.

Unless they didn’t exist?

Matt Harris​

Infrastructure Lead

816‑256‑5446

Direct

Looking for something?

Helpdesk Portal

Email Support

Billing Portal

We build and deliver end‑to‑end IT solutions.

In addition to that, even if this is not good for many "honest" people that was using the DC, we need to take it in the positive side. In my own case, OVH is probably the cause of 80% of the abuse cases I report, and they never react. I'm convinced I'm not the only one, as I read in other ops mailing lists ...

So, the positive side is a) during some days, we can see an interesting decrease in abuse cases, b) because the so many abuse cases, many OVH "honest" customers are often being filtered because they share addresses with the "bad guys", so it is an opportunity for them to move to alternative DCs that probably are more careful about "bad guys".

A good topic for researchers :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jordi
@jordipalet

El 10/3/21 16:44, "NANOG en nombre de Andy Ringsmuth" <nanog-bounces+jordi.palet=consulintel.es@nanog.org en nombre de andy@andyring.com> escribiĂł:

So your saying my “bot” dashboard should show a decrease in volume today? Interesting… I might run some stats today to see if there is a noticeable drop in Europe.

-John

Was thinking the exact same thing; they and Digital Ocean seem to compete for the number two spot behind China as a malicious traffic source on all my public facing networks.

From the pics, the place looked like it has had quite a few semi-trailer containers added around it, perhaps they were running a little too much equipment in the building and it required power / hvac augmenting but fire suppression was left as it was...

In addition to that, even if this is not good for many "honest" people that was using the DC, we need to take it in the positive side. In my own case, OVH is probably the cause of 80% of the abuse cases I report, and they never react. I'm convinced I'm not the only one, as I read in other ops mailing lists ...

So, the positive side is a) during some days, we can see an interesting decrease in abuse cases, b) because the so many abuse cases, many OVH "honest" customers are often being filtered because they share addresses with the "bad guys", so it is an opportunity for them to move to alternative DCs that probably are more careful about "bad guys".

A good topic for researchers :slight_smile:

Regards,
    Jordi
    @jordipalet

If you give people the means to hurt you, and they do it, and
  you take no action except to continue giving them the means to
  hurt you, and they take no action except to keep hurting you,
  then one of the ways you can describe the situation is "it isn't
  scaling well".
    --- Paul Vixie (on NANOG)

1. I have every OVH network block that I'm aware of permanently firewalled
out. I recommend the same to everyone else, unless you're doing research.

2. When something burns that's not supposed to burn, that was designed
not to burn, that was built not to burn, that was operated not to burn,
then one of the distinct possibilities is that it wasn't an accident.

---rsk

I’m sure this is just a coincidence:
“OVHcloud has launched the process for a public offering (IPO) on the Paris stock exchange. The announcement came on Monday, two days before a fire destroyed one of the company’s 32 global data centers in Strasbourg.”

According to these pictures a similar part of the datacenter (SBX4) was built with wood.

Ceilings at least. Walls?

the conjecturbation is only surpassed by the vitrol

Vitrol™ -- Ask for it by name.

At $dayjob-1 I ran one of Enron's old (abandoned) datacenters which was built in the early aughts or earlier.

Even that had full pre-action systems, which we once triggered when one of my colleagues accidentally hooked up a battery backwards.

*poof*

Fire Department was there in under five minutes.

So yeah -- seems a little weird.

Hi,

Fire Department was there in under five minutes.

I assume your Enron DC was in the U.S.?

The OVH datacenter is (was) in France. I bet you 10 bucks that the
fire department was on strike.

Thanks,

Sabri

Sounds like France. :smiley:

Report I saw had the fire department on site in 3 minutes of the call. They even had a German-manned fireboat “Europa 1” working the fire from the water side.

No, French Superheroes flew in from Le Café du Peintre near the Bastille in under 30 nanoseconds. However, it was still futile.

-R.

That's pretty impressive. It does make me wonder how long it took for them to be notified, and why on earth the fire spread so fast that the entire DC was lost...

And because, for once, the French were not on strike, I donated $10 to the American Red Cross.

Thanks,

Sabri

28491.png

That’ll work. :slight_smile:

28491.png

Peace,

No, French Superheroes flew in from Le Café du Peintre near the
Bastille in under 30 nanoseconds. However, it was still futile.

jingoism does not deter fires

Emergency responders run into buildings everyone else is running out of. Keep their safety in mind when designing your mega-data centers.

The emergency services of Bas-Rhin sent 115 firefighters and 44 machines including six "cannon launchers" and two ladders, according to the DNA report. The facility is virtually on the French border, and other resources were mobilized across the border in Germany, according to a press release from Bas-Rhin. A Franco-German pump boat, Europa 1, carrying a German crew, helped put out the fire, taking water directly from the Rhine.