OT - Verizon/ATT Cell/4G Signal Booster/Repeater

Hi all;

Looking to improve cell reception for mixed ATT/Verizon users on the
first floor of one of our buildings.

Starting to dig into this and coming across items like this one at
Amazon[1], but thought some of you out there might have recommendations
for something that has worked well for you and has been reliable.

Am in a position to run cable from the roof to the floor in question.

Thanks,
Ray

[1] http://www.amazon.com/Wilson-Electronics-Indoor-Cellular-Booster/dp/B00IWW9AB8/ref=lp_2407782011_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1418671553&sr=1-1

Call Wilson. Explain what you want you do. They'll give you a product
number.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

In article <20141216024552.GA26200@esri.com> you write:

Hi all;

Looking to improve cell reception for mixed ATT/Verizon users on the
first floor of one of our buildings.

Starting to dig into this and coming across items like this one at
Amazon[1], but thought some of you out there might have recommendations
for something that has worked well for you and has been reliable.

The Wilson equipment has a good reputation.

Assuming you have good Internet service, you might also consider
femtocells, which are small cellular base stations that use your
Internet service as backhaul.

Verizon: http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/samsung-network-extender-scs-2u01/

AT&T: Say Goodbye to AT&T MicroCell - AT&T Wireless Customer Support

R's,
John

Hi,

Although this might not apply to you in the US, anyone else thinking about trying this might want to check up on possible legal backlash from using one of these devices. I know you can't legally use one of these in Dubai.

Ammar

http://wireless.fcc.gov/signal-boosters/faq.html

Matthew Kaufman

Although this might not apply to you in the US, anyone else thinking about trying this might want to check up on possible legal backlash from using one of these devices. I know you can't legally use one of these in Dubai.

These are sold by the carriers and are completely legal here.

They’re legal in the US as long as they’re registered with the carrier and meet the new regulations for intelligent cellular repeaters. There were some new laws regarding these repeaters that went into effect earlier this year, I think around April.

A Cel-Fi repeater that I used to own did a nifty thing by scanning for and amplifying only the signals belonging to the carrier the repeater was programmed for rather than doing a full band repeat of everyone. I got rid of the Cel-Fi when I upgraded to the iPhone 5S which has WiFi calling available on it. It works quite well and no need for the repeater any more.

Best,
Ryan Wilkins

Wilson is the way to go. They have a couple of products not on their
website that only certified installers can sell that are even higher
powered. Works with all 4 4G carriers at once.

These work well, I have an ATT in my house. However, in a broad deployment (like in a datacenter with lots of discreet visitors) it is pointless, because ATT requires registration of any phone connected and it is limited to 10.

I just with Wifi calling was ubiquitous.

isn't it in every android phone since ~1yr ago?

Definitely not. My Droid Maxx on VZW does not do Wifi calling. I have yet
to see Wifi calls (excluding SIP clients and such) on any phone around here.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

I just with Wifi calling was ubiquitous.

isn't it in every android phone since ~1yr ago?

Yes, but it works poorly when walking the dog.

R's,
John

Hangouts Dialer gets you VOIP calls, whether WiFi or Cellular data is in
use ... albeit from your GVoice#, not native/telco number.

/TJ

Unless your native number is your GV number. :wink:

One thing you might also want to consider are any calls you make to 911 whilst using a repeater.

I use a repeater supplied by T-Mobile and they made it very clear, and I had to specifically acknowledge a statement, that using such a repeater takes away from emergency services being able to find out where you are if you make a 911 call from your mobile.

Some may refer to this as a feature, depending on how much tin foil you have laying about, but the users of such device may need to be warned about emergency calls. They'll need to be able to describe where they are to the responding sirens.

--John

Be careful about the new rules that were put into place in the spring. My experience is that resellers are still promoting "consumer" devices for use in commercial buildings which is now a no-no. Under the new regulation, consumer devices are to be used only for individuals in their home, car, RV, boat, etc..

Industrial signal boosters are the only allowed non-grandfathered devices to be used in buildings. They have to be installed by certified installers and require a FCC license under the new regulations. The new fines are steep at $100,000 an instance, so the wireless providers really have a hold of the FCC.

For some usa mobile providers nearly every android phone supports wifi
calling... And iPhone6 too.

For anyone doing VoLTE, VoWiFi should be a slam dunk.

CB

If your users are all using the latest models... great

We still have people using flip phones...

We had to shut down our legacy signal booster when a provider sent us a cease and desist letter. We are still looking for a replacement solution that meets the new code.

Perhaps they are, but AT&T and Verizon don't allow it, because they are terrible.

Add T-mobile LTE and to that list.

I need one.