OT: Re: Critters

My first daughter's pet rabbit re-wired my apartment network, power and data.

At SRI in Menlo Park, the squirrels were always keen for that tasty grey
cable whenever it was run where they could get it.

I wish I had a moose-and-cable story. Sorry.

Bunnies are hard wired (no pun intended) to do that. To them, wires running along a baseboard are unwanted roots intruding upon their well maintained(?) burrows.

--MAB

Since we are on the topic of animal encounters related to being 'on the job'...

I once worked as a cable installer for the same company I work for today. I was running a new cable outlet for a customer in an
older farm house in a rural part of our serving area. This big old farm house had a lot of cats at one time or another, as I was
about to find out. I entered the crawlspace, which was quite spacious as far as crawl spaces go, and the opening was large enough I
didn't have to bring my flashlight out right away. As I ventured into the back of the house, I started feeling something crunchy,
yet soft, as I crawled in... I reached to my belt for my flash light and had a look... I was smack dab in the middle of anywhere
between 200 - 400 bird skeletons and feathers.

I had a small problem with crawlspaces before then due to a large spider infestation... But guess what I think of them now. Can't
get me inside them unless they are brand new.

My 2 cents

Aaron

Cats and Spiders, Ha !

I was involved with the construction of a radio telescope in the Spitzbergen settlement of Ny
Alesund, Norway (78 degrees 56 minutes north).

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/vlbi/images/telbig/nyales.gif

Staff were assigned Colt 45 revolvers because the area was frequented by Polar
Bears - up to 400 kilos, able to run faster than a person, and (so I was told) with
an annoying habit of appearing between you and the front door if you went to take out
the garbage. Just about every year they would get a trekker or two.

Reliance Infocomm is installing 80,000 km of fiber in India. I wonder if
they have any tiger stories.

Marshall

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Not unless they are installing fiber in one of very few national parks. Or maybe into a zoo or circus. Tigers have been hunted into near extinction in India, as have Lions.

Leopards and panthers are rather more likely - there are some rather extensive forests just outside several large cities and towns, and these have been known to stray into town in search of garbage and meat markets. And elephants have been known to crash into breweries, get drunk and go around uprooting telephone poles in some parts of the country (like the thickly forested north east).

srs

Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> And elephants have been known to crash into breweries, get

drunk and go around uprooting telephone poles in some parts of the country (like the thickly forested north east).

Sounds like our local Ma Bell spinoff linesmen.

Jeff :slight_smile:

Marshall Eubanks wrote:

Oh no. You find lions only in Kenya....

Jeff

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!
Err wait, which way to OZ again?

This is sooo way OT, but given the subject line...

There is still a remnant population of Asiatic lion (Panthera Leo Persica) in the
Gir forests of Gujarat. I don't think Gir forest is a significant right of way
for fibre, but one never knows..

-dorian

** Reply to message from "Tom (UnitedLayer)" <tom@unitedlayer.com> on
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:31:07 -0700 (PDT)