New IPv6 survey released on labs.ripe.net

Hi There,

We just released a new version of the IPv6 CPE survey. After lots of feedback on the previous editions, we are now doing a "proper" survey. Based on the responses we receive in this survey we will be able to compile a new edition of our matrix and provide some more statistical background on what is happening in the market.

Remember we are totally depending on your feedback to continue this work. The more responses we receive, the easier it gets for us to provide regular updates on which CPE are available on the market and how good they are.

So if you have an IPv6 capable router or modem in your house, or you are busy testing them. Please take the time to fill out the survey and help other people to find the device that fits their need.

Please see https://labs.ripe.net/Members/marco/ipv6-cpe-survey-please-participate for further details and a link to the survey.

Thanks,

MarcoH

Hi There,

We just released a new version of the IPv6 CPE survey. After lots of

feedback on the previous editions, we are now doing a "proper" survey. Based
on the responses we receive in this survey we will be able to compile a new
edition of our matrix and provide some more statistical background on what
is happening in the market.

Remember we are totally depending on your feedback to continue this work.

The more responses we receive, the easier it gets for us to provide regular
updates on which CPE are available on the market and how good they are.

So if you have an IPv6 capable router or modem in your house, or you are

busy testing them. Please take the time to fill out the survey and help
other people to find the device that fits their need.

Please see

IPv6 CPE Survey - Please Participate | RIPE Labs for
further details and a link to the survey.

Can we get mobile devices added to this? Mobile consumes a large amount of
address space and is especially well suited for ipv6-only operations.

Unfortunately, the results would be painfully narrow. Now that Nokia no
longer supports ipv6, there is no going forward ipv6 support on any mobile
device (htc did something special for thunderbolt, it's not an android 3g
feature )

It's a very sad state of affairs.

Cb

For testing purposes, we try to keep a few phones on each major carrier, and I was actually surprised at how many of our randomly purchased phones did support IPv6.

T-Mobile: Nokia N900 works great thanks to you(admittedly a dead-end from Nokia, but it works with the same level of shell script and kernel hacking that all N900 users expect)
AT&T: iPhone 4 (works on wifi, but not over 3G. Can't even be disabled if you don't want v6)
Verizon: HTC Thunderbolt (works out of the box)

No IPv6 on Sprint, US Cellular or Metro PCS though. They don't have anything that supports IPv6 as far as I can tell.

For me as a consumer, I actually had no idea that the Thunderbolt or iPhone were even using IPv6, it's totally automatic and seamless. But I am surprised at how few phones/tablets have any IPv6 support at all, with how late in the game this is.

-- Kevin

Can we get mobile devices added to this? Mobile consumes a large amount of address space and is especially well suited for ipv6-only operations.

I would rather make it a separate study. Integrating this with CPE might become messy and it would make the survey really long and complicated. Of course anything is possible. We encourage people to contribute on RIPE Labs with ideas and experiments.

I think the first thing to do is to start a thread either here or on labs.ripe.net about what people would like to see from a survey on mobile devices. The CPE survey started of as a result of some work I did for my employer at the time. After a round of vendor selecting I was sitting on a pile of data and decided to publish it. Now I know my way around mobile a bit, but I am not an expert. So guidance on what is relevant and what not or help from somebody who knows more about mobile is more than welcome should we decide to push this forward.

Unfortunately, the results would be painfully narrow. Now that Nokia no longer supports ipv6, there is no going forward ipv6 support on any mobile device (htc did something special for thunderbolt, it's not an android 3g feature )

It's a very sad state of affairs.

From what I know and seen so far this is indeed the sad situation we are in. At this stage I don't think publishing a survey towards end users would make the difference. But I am more than happy to find myself wrong on this one :slight_smile:

Grtx,

MarcoH

No IPv6 on Sprint, US Cellular or Metro PCS though. They don't have anything that supports IPv6 as far as I can tell.

[WEG] Similar to the iPhone, any of the Android phones in Sprint's device portfolio should support IPv6 on WiFi, but not on the CDMA
(3G) interface. I've confirmed it on several of them already.

Wes George

Mobile v6 folks,

T-Mobile: Nokia N900 works great thanks to you(admittedly a dead-end from Nokia, but it works with the same level of shell script and kernel hacking that all N900 users expect)

Add the Nokia N97 to this list, with cellular/wifi support but no
tethering, etc. Also I don't think IPv6 support on WiFi is as
significant by at least two orders of magnitude as IPv6 support on the
cellular interfaces is.

A survey would be useful though: Firmware, IPv6 support ( WiFi /
cellular ), v4/v6 tethering / hot spot operations, etc. I don't see
how it can hurt to provide the middle ground between manufacturers and
operators by having such a survey in this regard. Cameron probably has
more to add (and some that he can't even if he wanted to, I guess).

Marco H, understanding your reasons for wanting to keep CPE survey
separate from what Cameron suggested, what's your opinion on doing a
clone of the survey? (At some level, having not one but two of these
surveys should attract you :slight_smile: )

Best,
Martin