Market-based address allocation

As a thought experiment, think of how the IPv4 addressing situation (bogon advertisements, allocations, explosion of routing table sizes, etc) would be different if the IP community treated IP addresses as a commodity.

The value of an IP address is primarily in its uniqueness. Advertising an address to another network says "send me packets if the destination address matches my advertisement."

But a set of addresses (an aggregate) also has value. The larger the set of addresses, the greater the value. For example, a /15 should end up being more valuable than a pair of /16s, because routing to addresses in the /15 is cheaper than routing to addresses in both of the /16s.

Let's stipulate some economic conditions and see where it leads:

- The price of Internet service should be based on more than
    bandwidth: the customer should also pay a surcharge for the
    number of prefixes advertised. This would be handled
    recursively: Tier 3 providers would have to pay for the
    number of prefixes they advertise to Tier 2 providers.
    Tier 1 provider peering settlement agreements would
    include provisions for the number of prefixes carried.

- Internet address registries should simply do registration.
    Just as real estate ownership is registered, so should
    IP address space. A recurring fee per registration is
    the traditional way to maintain such registries, whether
    they be automobiles or parcels of land. Failure to
    maintain registration would eventually lead to the
    address block being auctioned.

- Internet address blocks should be considered property,
    subject to existing property rights and practices.
    Owners of address blocks should be able to sell
    them or put them up as collateral on a loan. Markets for
    address blocks should be established and encouraged.

How might these conditions help solve the problems of address space exhaustion and the size of the default-free zone routing tables?

Some observers have speculated that the IPv4 address space exhaustion crisis has been manufactured to encourage migration to IPv6. This is close to being an "unknowable" or "non-falsifiable" theory, which is to say it's like religious belief or wondering who shot JFK.

But clearly today it's impossible to put a monetary value on migration to IPv6 from IPv4. If my existing IPv4 address space had tangible value, I could make a business decision whether to deploy IPv6 and sell my IPv4 address blocks on the open market. In fact, the sale of IPv4 address blocks could help _finance_ my transition to IPv6.

I believe I've heard Randy Bush suggest publicly (my paraphrase) that organizations that multi-home create costs for everyone running their networks without a default to an upstream. This is because the benefits accrue to the multi-homed organization, but the costs accrue to the default-free network operators. (Randy, feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood your statement!)

A well-understood way to allocate/recover costs is to assign a price to those activities that create those costs. The more directly the price is tied to the costs, the more likely it is that people will behave in such a way that the costs will be covered.

For a while, various ISPs refused to route address blocks smaller than the allocations from the registries. This was a good first approximation, but it had several problems:

Addresses from the "traditional B space" were less valuable than address blocks from the "traditional C space", because the size of the smallest routable aggregate was different in those two spaces. This had the perverse effect of making smaller aggregates (those out of C space) more attractive than larger aggregates (those out of B space).

The size of an organization's address space was directly tied to the ability of the organization to multi-home that address space. The idea seemed to be that larger organizations are more likely to desire multi-homing. There may be an overall correlation to support that idea, but correlation doesn't imply causation.

Portable address space is valuable to organizations for reasons other than multi-homing for reliability. The freedom to move between service providers without the pain of renumbering has significant value. It is reasonable for organizations to have to pay some sort of premium for that freedom, since the cost of that freedom is borne by all default-free network operators. Again, if that premium is high enough, in some cases it can provide a compelling financial business case to go to the trouble of renumbering.

OK Bill, this is great, but how would we get there from here?

Looking at history, there are several ways to attach property rights to things that have formerly been held in common. Whatever process is used, it should be carefully considered to try and avoid unintended consequences. Flag days are probably out; a phased transition plan should be involved.

There is a correlation between the amount of IPv4 address space an organization (institution, government, corporation, etc) has allocated and the amount of time they've been active in the Internet community. How strong is that correlation? Hard to say, but it's there. I see that as partial justification for allowing existing IPv4 address space holders to keep their address space through the transition--even if it means they end up with a "windfall" asset.

Not every society in the world subscribes to the same concept of property rights and free markets as in the West. That probably argues for some allocation of IPv4 address space on a national basis, so that the local society's mechanism of resource allocations can be leveraged.

Some address space should also be allocated in the public interest. But each situation is different and may have different answers. For example: should address space be given for free to primary education institutions? If so, should they be able to sell their allocations and use ISP-supplied aggregatable addresses, with the sale proceeds funding some term of bandwidth service from that ISP? (I would argue in the affirmative, trusting the school boards to do what makes sense in their local situation.)

To conclude:

I doubt this is going to happen anytime soon, if at all. But I think it makes sense to at least discuss the alternatives--if for no other reason than to understand why we're doing things the way we are.

Bill Nickless wrote:

As a thought experiment, think of how the IPv4 addressing situation (bogon advertisements, allocations, explosion of routing table sizes, etc) would be different if the IP community treated IP addresses as a commodity.

Actually, your entire argument starts off very poorly. You are stating that IP addresses should be treated as a commodity, yet what you are really trying to state is that routing advertisements should be treated as a commodity. These are two different concepts. If we pay for IP addresses, there's still nothing to keep us from advertising longer prefixes. If we pay for advertisements, large providers will just work it into their peering agreements and then collect money from their customers for their adverts.You'd also have to figure out who pays who? Do I get paid for every route sent to me? I usually have 120,000+ routes sitting in my router. Please send me my money.

If you aren't refering to advertisements, then bogon advertisements, hijackings, and route table explosions will still be an issue. Without mandating necessity, I'd also point out that there would no longer be IPv4 address space available except at outrageous prices for smaller networks that wish to multi-home and have their own netblocks.

-Jack

Actually, your entire argument starts off very poorly.

In retrospect, I agree--it was ambiguous. I was trying to suggest two things simultaneously, because I think both are necessary.

- Treat IPv4 netblocks as a commodity
   - Recover costs on a per-advertisement basis
     (in addition to bandwidth charges)

You are stating that IP addresses should be treated as a commodity, yet what you are really trying to state is that routing advertisements should be treated as a commodity. These are two different concepts.

No, IP address blocks should be treated as a commodity. Carrying a routing advertisement should be a paid-for service, or part of a peering settlement.

If we pay for advertisements, large providers will just work it into their peering agreements and then collect money from their customers for their adverts.You'd also have to figure out who pays who? Do I get paid for every route sent to me? I usually have 120,000+ routes sitting in my router. Please send me my money.

Exactly right. That's precisely the incentive we desire, because it would encourage people to use provider-based addressing when possible. It would also allow people to be multi-homed, but if they want it they will have to pay something for it. The downstreams would pass along the costs of carrying the advertisement to the customer, where it belongs.

Without mandating necessity, I'd also point out that there would no longer be IPv4 address space available except at outrageous prices for smaller networks that wish to multi-home and have their own netblocks.

Outrageous pricing assumes scarcity. Are IPv4 addresses really that scarce? And would they be scarce if people could buy and sell them on the open market?

PIARA, The Sequel. Take N+1. Action! Anybody got any rubber balls Peter Lothberg can monopolize this time? :slight_smile:

Sorry to be flip. In case you haven't already, see: http://www.apnic.net/mailing-lists/piara/index.shtml

Rgds,
-drc

I'm confused--are IPv4 netblocks so valuable that we can't expect the market to set a reasonable price, or are IPv4 netblocks (sets of integers) so worthless that they're not worth the trouble of trading at all?

Bill Nickless wrote:

- Treat IPv4 netblocks as a commodity
  - Recover costs on a per-advertisement basis
    (in addition to bandwidth charges)

No, IP address blocks should be treated as a commodity. Carrying a routing advertisement should be a paid-for service, or part of a peering settlement.

Routing advertisement ratios have always been capable of being in peering agreements. Perhaps they exist in some. Who knows? Money doesn't have to exchange hands to setup policies for your network.

Exactly right. That's precisely the incentive we desire, because it would encourage people to use provider-based addressing when possible.

Ummm. Let's see. Have you checked blacklists lately? While many are pertaining to spam, the fact is that they are not "spam blacklists" but "IP blacklists". Many of the largest networks have contaminated space, and it's a crap shoot renumbering into them. There's also another issue. Renumbering to new provider space means that you have to maintain connectivity for both providers until the renumber is complete. With large networks, this is cost prohibitive. Get a customer on your IPs and they are loathe to ever leave you. Your proposal only makes ripping off^W^Wkeeping the customer much easier.

It would also allow people to be multi-homed, but if they want it they will have to pay something for it. The downstreams would pass along the costs of carrying the advertisement to the customer, where it belongs.

Okay. Here's my issue and where I don't get it. I have my own space. I interlink with multiple networks with and without export. I have to handle the routes of all the networks, received from all peers. So do I send out 120,000 invoices each month, or when I multi-home to I mandate that my providers have to pay me for all of these advertisements that *I* need to make routing decisions while I'm only contributing a measly 1-8 aggregates? Or is it because I'm the small guy, that I don't count. I can be billed, but I don't get to receive money.

Outrageous pricing assumes scarcity. Are IPv4 addresses really that scarce? And would they be scarce if people could buy and sell them on the open market?

How are you going to handle the billing? Do you pay residually for the networks or just pay a single fee? If you pay residually, do legacy networks also get charged? If you pay a single fee, ATT, C&W, Qwest, Microsoft, and a thousand other large networks will snatch up every last one in bulk and then resell at whatever prices they wanted. Remember, you can't manufacture more IPv4 addresses. In fact, we haven't even instituted reclaiming processes for networks that can't show utilization. We only slow down the consumption of what is left by requiring such documentation.

So you look at the financials. You either make it so expensive that companies can't stockpile the addresses, or Microsoft buys a /4 here and a /1 there while AT&T is buying a /4 here and a /1 there. If you set it too high, people who have valid need of the addresses may not be able to afford them.

-Jack

Bill Nickless wrote:

I'm confused--are IPv4 netblocks so valuable that we can't expect the market to set a reasonable price, or are IPv4 netblocks (sets of integers) so worthless that they're not worth the trouble of trading at all?

The issue is that it's just plain smart for large providers to buy all the space up if they can. Businesses are into making money. When they can, they will monopolize a market.

Most commodities cannot be saturated. You don't buy all the oranges in the world and then maintain ownership until the end of the world. The next year, everyone will produce more oranges. Even money is replenished, and how much is in circulation is governed by the corresponding government.

IPv4 address space, while adequate to currently meet our needs, is limited. The reason it is adequate is because we do require justification. Take away justification and put on a $ value, and the big money makers will buy it all, lease it out to people at variable rates, and watch the money roll in. Never underestimate greed. It's the foundation of business.

-Jack

Well considering a good proportion of the ipv4 space has already been
given away to large companies, institutions and government bodies without
any sort of oversight.

Lets assume that one of the companies currently holding a Class A decides
to go into the ip business. I can't see it being too hard for them to
setup a small website, whois server etc where you can pay online and get
a network at around $100/year per /24. This is cheaper for smaller
organisations than signing up to ARIN and the lack of paperwork (and
potential quick service) will probably attract others.

Companies will always have the alternative of going via ARIN,RIPE,APNIC so
the commercial register will have an incentive not to jack up prices too
high.

The networks advertised will be a legitimate as old /16s and /8s allocated
years ago to organizations 1% of the size that would justify them. Even
better if people are actually paying hard cash for the netblocks then they
are more likely to only get what they want and efficiently use them.

It would seem to be a better use that the Class A is actually getting used
by people rather than being largely (99%) unused by the company concerned.
It's not like IANA is going to ask for Ford, HP or Xerox to actually
justify their allocation any time soon.

Of course I'm sure some people here will refuse to accept the
announcements and mutter about routing table size. One the other hand the
same people seem to be happy with the current inefficient legacy allocations.

So, your theory is that providers will corner the market for IP space,
then price fix? And people will go along with this why? Because they are
idiots?

If providers start buying up space, the space becomes more expensive, and
it gets harder for the providers to buy. Considering the liquidity
situation of most carriers, the nightmare scenerio of trying to make a
business case to engage in monopolistic practices and price fixing is
bizaare. No management team would agree to it, because of the legal
exposure, large cash outlay required, and uncertain return on investment.
"Ok, Mr. CEO, give me $100M to corner the market on something that no one
has ever made money on before. Oh yeah, we'll be sitting on that cash for
a while, as we engage in activities likely to result in your future
incarceration. Sign here, please"

Currently, IP space is artificially limited because people are sitting on
large amounts of it. Why? Why shouldn't they?

However, if a current /8 holder finds that they have $5M worth of IP
addresses, they would be incented to exchange some of those for cash.
Renumbering out of legacy space becomes something that you can make a
business case for. Addresses go on the market more, and the price drops.

We currently have a very bad situation - hoarding, artificial scarcity,
and a central control authority. Historically, these have proven to be bad
ways to manage a resource. See the economics (or history) book of your
choice for the background - other than Das Kapital.

A (gasp) capitalistic approach, with current safeguards against
monopolistic behavior and price fixing, would result in cheaper, more
available IP space. We all win. yay.

- Daniel Golding

Oh? You mean all the *other* management teams actually learned from Enron,
Worldcom, Adelphia, and so on?

OK. I'm fed up. What in the cited text triggered *THIS* one? Is somebody at
'affidia.com' (source of this one) of the opinion that "management" is a
separate race that is being discriminated against?

**************** eManager Notification *****************

The following mail was blocked since it contains sensitive content.

Source mailbox: Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu
Destination mailbox(es): Daniel Golding;Jack Bates; nanog@merit.edu
Rule/Policy: Racial Discrimination
Action: Quarantine to C:\Program Files\Trend\SMCF\Quarantine\2003-05-01\10\54\DFImessagebody3eb15f502be9.tmp

Sender, Your e-mail message has not been delivered to it's destination. It does npt comply with our acceptable use policy.

******************* End of message *********************

I don't know, but according to the spambot, your name is 'Sender', and your message 'does npt comply !'

Sysadmin fatfinger or smoking something, you be the judge. :slight_smile: