ipv6 transit over tunneled connection

Hello,

We're in the early stage of planning ipv6 deployment - learning/labbing/experimenting/etc.
We've got to the point when we're also planning to request initial ipv6 allocation from ARIN.
So I wonder what ipv6 transit options I have if my upstreams do not support native ipv6 connectivity?
I see Hurricane Electric tunnel broker BGP tunnel. Is there anything else? Either free or commercial?
Thanks,

Michael

Occaid will generally transit you via two tunnels to their endpoints. I used
them for a year with zero issues in addition to an HE tunnel.

-Jack Carrozzo

Hello,

We're in the early stage of planning ipv6 deployment - learning/labbing/experimenting/etc.
We've got to the point when we're also planning to request initial ipv6 allocation from ARIN.
So I wonder what ipv6 transit options I have if my upstreams do not support native ipv6 connectivity?
I see Hurricane Electric tunnel broker BGP tunnel. Is there anything else? Either free or commercial?

1) see gblx/ntt/sprint/twt/vzb for transit-v6
2) tunnel inside your domain (your control, your MTU issues, your
alternate pathing of tunnels vs pipe)
3) don't tunnel beyond your borders, really just don't

tunnels are bad, always.
-chris

3) don't tunnel beyond your borders, really just don't
tunnels are bad, always.

you are understaing your case.

randy

Guys,

I've started this thread looking for advice on available options.
There's no doubt in my mind that native connectivity is better than tunnels,
but unfortunately tunnel is the only way to get me started, 'cause my upstream
does not support ipv6 (hopefully just yet) and I have no budget for additional
circuits to ipv6-enabled carrier.
So my question still stands: is anyone aware of a reasonable tunneled ipv6
transit service (I mean aside from HE tunnel broker)? The load will be really
light. I don't expect we'll break a few Mbit/s in the nearest future and when
we do then I guess it'll be the time to look for the native transit.
Thanks,

Michael

beware the uTorrent ... (see johnb's notes about this)
sixxs i think also had NYC based tunnel boxes, no?

<http://www.sixxs.net/pops/>

usewr01 OCCAID Inc.
uschi02 Your.Org, Inc.

and I think kloch @carpathia was doing some of this for a time, though
perhaps only ASH/PHX ?
-chris

We have managed to achieve that fairly well. We have colocated a single router in a provider in London with native IPv6 where we have our primary break out. We then tunnel over IPv4 between this router and our core.

The tunneling protocol provides transparent L2 frame reassembly so we have MTU 1500 all the way to the edge of the network.

So my question still stands: is anyone aware of a reasonable tunneled ipv6
transit service (I mean aside from HE tunnel broker)? The load will be really
light. I don't expect we'll break a few Mbit/s in the nearest future and when
we do then I guess it'll be the time to look for the native transit.

beware the uTorrent ... (see johnb's notes about this)
sixxs i think also had NYC based tunnel boxes, no?

usewr01 is Newark, thus quite close. uschi02 is Chicago (UN/LOCODE++) thus not really around the corner unless you compare it to Tokio...

SixXS never does transit/BGP though*. We only provide IPv6 connectivity to end-sites, thus to solve the problem where the last-mile cannot be IPv6 enabled, which is the general case for businesses and home users where their ISP didn't come around to enabling IPv6 (CPE's, DSLAM's, DOCSIS, it is getting there, but still generally a b**** :wink:

(* = FAQ : Connectivity (Tunnels and Subnets) : Do you provide BGP peering? :: SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker)

Core networks should be non-tunneled. It is silly to have to need a tunnel to another network to get IPv6 uplink connectivity.

If you really are in a position that nobody else in the IXs you are present at can provide native IPv6 connectivity, then well, you should have started yelling about this years ago.

See FAQ : Connectivity (Tunnels and Subnets) : Where can I get native IPv6 transit? :: SixXS - IPv6 Deployment & Tunnel Broker with relevant links to the awesome peeringdb to figure out from whom you could be directly

Yes, a tunnel is a good last-resort, but one is better off pushing for native IPv6. As for doing tunneled-BGP, come kids, the 6bone got shut down 4 years ago, for a reason...

As for the places that you can't get native IPv6 transit, two words:
    business opportunity.

That should light up the eyes of the folks who didn't realize what IPv6 is for some companies... there is an obvious example of a certain company which is playing their cards pretty well there, the question for them is though how long they can survive when the real big boys turn on their marketing engines, time will tell.

[..]

and I think kloch @carpathia was doing some of this for a time, though
perhaps only ASH/PHX ?

He is the one providing usqas01 (the IPv4/hosting part).
Ping him directly though for other things.

Greets,
  Jeroen

Hello,

Just wanted to say thanks to everybody who replied and/or offered help.
I've got a few private peering offers, so I guess I'm ok now.
Thanks a lot,

Michael