IPv6 Standards and one random provider

So … I recall back in the ‘day’ that IPv4 / DHCP standards were such that a provider cannot simply override it with something else. This was particularly the case with DNS – a provider overrode DNS requests with their own entries and … lawsuits and hilarity ensued.

I am now working with a provider that says that they will only allocate IPv6 addresses to devices that they deploy. They are refusing to deploy IPv6 to any other devices.

Are there any rules or laws or whatever in the various agreements with ARIN/IANA about IPv6 allocations and restrictions that providers may impose? I feel that this breaks the very thing that is ‘standard’ about the internet.

Imagine if I say that you may only get IPv4 with my device that I deploy (for an extra $10 per month per device) otherwise…you’re on the internet with no IP address.

1 Like

Yes you make a good point. While I’m not sure what the standards currently are, I do know that I aim to make a proposal soon about use 0xE for Earth Based addresses,
and possible 0xC for country based addresses. Basically with 0xE every 10m^3 on Earth (land) would have a /48 subnet allocated. And with 0xC each country could have enough IPv6 addresses to allocate to all their provinces, counties, municipalities, and so on, so everyone can have enough addresses.

It seems to me that when IPv6 came online, the industry was confused how to use it, and is using it like an extension of IPv4, selling in small blocks to companies. But IPv6 has the potential to be much more than that, to make the internet and IPs accessible to everyone.

1 Like