IPv6 on SOHO routers?

Slightly off-topic, but tangentially related that I'll dare to ask.

I'm attending an "Emerging Communications" course where the instructor
stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6, pointing to
Asia specifically.

Do Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. have such software for the Asian markets?

Furthermore, he stated that networking equipment companies like Cisco will
be moving away from IPv4 in 5 years or so. This is the first time I've
heard this posited -- I had a hard believing that, but he claims it with
some authority. Anyone hear anything like this? My own opinion is that
we'll see dual-stack for at least a decade or two to come.

Frank

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6, pointing to
Asia specifically.

Do Linksys, D-Link, Netgear, etc. have such software for the Asian markets?

Get yourself a copy of ipv6style magazine.

The answer is yes.

That's to say, if you're projecting a particular tipping point in ipv4 vs ipv6 usability then sure that's plausible. there are plenty of divergent opinions on the subject.

I seem to think I've seen SOHO routers (or "gateways" I suppose, assuming that these boxes are rarely simply routers) on display at beer'n'gear-type venues at APRICOT meetings, going back several years. The glossy pamphlets have long since been discarded, so I can't tell you names of vendors.

More mainstream for this market, Apple's airport extreme "SOHO router" does IPv6.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html

I have not had the time to figure out what "does IPv6" means, exactly (DHCPv6? IPv6 DNS resolver?) but I seem to think it will provide route advertisements and route out either using 6to4 or a manually-configured tunnel.

Joe

stated that there are SOHO routers that natively support IPv6,

<http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=33DD138B&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/networking&nplm=MB053LL/A >

There are a couple of other boxes I noticed recently at Fry's (in the SF Bay Area) that claimed IPv6 support on the box, but I have no idea how real those claims are.

I suspect you should back away slowly from anyone who suggests IPv4 is going to go away within 5 years.

Regards,
-drc

In a message written on Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 03:06:24PM -0500, Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

ISP's are very good at one thing, driving out unnecessary cost.
Running dual stack increases cost. While I'm not sure about the 5
year part, I'm sure ISP's will move to disable IPv4 support as soon
as the market will let them as a cost saving measure. Runing for
"decades" dual stacked does not make a lot of economic sense for
all involved.

Yes, there are many. Take a look at www.ipv6-to-standard.org

Regards,
Jordi

If history is any guide the last Cisco boxes I worked on supported various flavors of SDLC and pre-SNA IBM comm, DECnet and DECnet LAT, IPX, Burroughs, poll select and the only protocol they do not still support is CorvisNet on twisted pair. Some of these protocols have not seen the light of day since when?

What is a Good CCIE test without arcane SDLC, HDLC and DECnet protocol questions.

Most SOHO routers use standard or proprietary silicon to do the IP stack or IP route assist and when the silicon is available for dual stack in quantity 10,000 units or more at a reasonable price the SOHO routers will support both.

IMHO before Linksys was owned by Cisco, I liked Netgear because there code was from Bay networks and had better routing. Finally, when I bought the expensive $ 150.00 routers with integral VPN support that was neat.

What I would like to see today is SOHO routers that do not interfere with 6 over 4 transport since my ISP does not offer home DSL termination of v6. Taking the silicon in a SOHO and adding 5 to 10 $ US in cost for v6 and multiple that by 5 to get a retail price of those features. Then offset that with the decrease in silicon size when you add both together with smaller size lines and transistors on the chips, I would project SOHO prices of 250 - 350 $ US to start with for v4 & v6 and dropping from there.

John (ISDN) Lee

I seem to remember something about Earthlink rolling out v6 enabled
wifi routers to its customers (linksys with a hacked up firmware
that'd create a v6 tunnel between the cpe and an elnk tunnelbroker) ..
what happened to that interesting little product? Killed off and the
few remaining users grandfathered?

srs

Frank,

Juniper Networks Does support IPv6 in J-Series Routers and SSG Firewalls:

http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/j_series_services_routers/

http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/ex_series/index.html

http://www.juniper.net/products_and_services/firewall_slash_ipsec_vpn/index.html

http://www.juniper.net/federal/IPv6/

SSG-5 and SSG-20 does support it after Screenos 6.1 ... for small office business.

Other vendor like Fortinet is supporting IPv6 in SOHO equipment too.

Att,

Giuliano

OpenWRT which actually supports IPv6 (by virtue of being linux based) can be run on very cheap devices (as most smaller home NAT-gateways are CPU based, no biggie), I suspect IPv6 on most of these is only a matter of someone actually putting it in their RFQ and be willing to pay a few $ extra per unit when buying the normal large telco volumes.

Running code is out there, it's just a matter of getting it into the devices.

The smaller SOHO routers that cisco has (800 and 1800 series) are quite ready for this, 12.4T even has support for DHCPv6 prefix delegation on the 878 for instance (it was the only one I checked in the software advisor).

Well, of *course* you're more likely to find such SOHO routers in markets where
a SOHO router owner might actually be able to use the feature. But in most
parts of the US, IPv6 support in a SOHO router is right up there with GOSIP
compliance as far as actual usefulness goes...

Yup. If you look at the devices claimed to be IPv6 CPE in Asian
markets, they're inevitably Ethernet-only, to be used on networks
where the customer is provided with an Ethernet jack in their home
or apartment complex.

Those of us who use ADSL or (heaven forbid) Cable are kinda out of luck.
I haven't yet found ADSL2+ CPE that does IPv6 over PPPoE or PPPoA out
of the box.

(Billion in Taiwan has a device which they've stamped an "IPv6 Ready"
sticker onto, but the IPv6 version of the software hasn't left the
confines of their lab yet)

As far as I've been able to determine, IPv6 SOHO CPE is largely
vaporware right now. And lets not even get started on residential
grade CPE, that doesn't even appear to be on most vendors' radar
_at all_. If anything useful is going to happen in this space,
my guess is that it'll be with custom Linux firmware running on
a LinkSys blob with no vendor support.

- mark

I must be blind, but I don't recognize any brands there that support IPv6
(besides the Apple Airport). I see the Linksys WRT54G, but I don't know
where they find the validation for IPv6 support, unless they mean DD-WRT.

Based on all the responses I received on and off list, it appears, that as
far as name brands recognized in the U.S., only Apple makes a SOHO router
that support IPv6.

Frank

Looks like there's some kind of wiki here, too:

http://www.getipv6.info/index.php/Broadband_CPE

Frank

And it looks like the Buffalo WZR-AG300NH claims support, too:
http://www.buffalotech.com/files/products/wzr-ag300nh_DS.pdf

I don't consider Buffalo a tier 1 or 2 SOHO vendor, but they're still on my
top-ten list for SOHO networking vendors.

Regards,

Frank

The only ADSL one listed "Billion 7402R2" doesn't _actually_ do IPv6 yet, but it might if they release software for it!
Which would be nice as we sell them to customers and would love to magically turn on IPv6 to them one day.

The only IPv6 ADSL router I'm aware of, that I can buy in Australia, is the Cisco 857/877 series (which work quite nicely I have to say :slight_smile:
(Some earlier Cisco 800 series ADSL routers will work, but aren't currently available).

A friend of mine who works for a company that owns another company that sells consumer CPE said "Well, this is a volume business. Why release a feature that isn't being demanded much yet, when we could do it later and sell you ANOTHER CPE to replace the one you just bought?".

Bah. And people wonder why I'm cynical.

MMC

Frank Bulk - iNAME wrote:

While it doesn't quality as out-of-the-box v6 support, a Linksys WRT54G with a replacement image like Sveasoft Talisman does claim to support it.

I haven't tested it yet on a guinea pig WRT54G, but I'll get around to that at some point soon :slight_smile:

jms

Justin M. Streiner wrote:

A friend of mine who works for a company that owns another company that sells consumer CPE said "Well, this is a volume business. Why release a feature that isn't being demanded much yet, when we could do it later and sell you ANOTHER CPE to replace the one you just bought?".

While it doesn't quality as out-of-the-box v6 support, a Linksys WRT54G with a replacement image like Sveasoft Talisman does claim to support it.

Yeah - not quite the issue - I've got a Cisco 877 at home and am running dual stack natively at home. But I'm not a typical customer.

But really, we need to start seeing some CPE, even in beta form, so we can start working through how a transition to IPv6 might work.
(eg. customer local networks, SIP for VOIP, stateful firewalls (given the anti-NAT-brigade have made it the only solution - don't get me started about how low end CPE stateful firewalls suck).

Customers tend to keep their CPE for a few years. That means customers buying now will still have it in 2010.

MMC

The only ADSL one listed "Billion 7402R2" doesn't _actually_ do IPv6 yet, but it might if they release software for it!
Which would be nice as we sell them to customers and would love to magically turn on IPv6 to them one day.

The only IPv6 ADSL router I'm aware of, that I can buy in Australia, is the Cisco 857/877 series (which work quite nicely I have to say :slight_smile:
(Some earlier Cisco 800 series ADSL routers will work, but aren't currently available).

Actually Cisco 850 series does not support IPv6, only 870 series. We tested earlier cisco models also: 830 series has ipv6 support. My colleague tested NetScreen routers: apart for the smallest devices they have IPv6 support. However I think these devices are not consumer equipments. I would call SO (Small Office) devices. The HO (home office) devices are the ~ 50-100 USD devices - you rarely see official ipv6 support.....

Janos Mohacsi
Network Engineer, Research Associate, Head of Network Planning and Projects
NIIF/HUNGARNET, HUNGARY
Key 70EF9882: DEC2 C685 1ED4 C95A 145F 4300 6F64 7B00 70EF 9882

So, can you elaborate why you think the cost of running dual stack is higher than the cost of spending time&money on beind on the bleeding edge to do v6-only yet supporting v4 for your existing and future customers still wedded to the older IP protocol?