iOS 7 update traffic

Can someone please explain to a non-Apple person what the hell happened
that started generating so much traffic? Perhaps I missed it in this
thread, but I would be curious to know what iOS 7 implemented that
caused this...

Thanks in adavnce,

- ferg

I think this was just the traffic to download iOS 7 to everyones' relevant Apple devices. I don't know how large the update was (maybe a few hundred MB per device?), but I guess everyone got the notification or their devices started automatically downloading around the same time. The vast majority of the traffic here (large .edu) happened between about 1 and 5 PM yesterday.

jms

The IOS7 upgrade is ~750 megabyte download for the phones/pods, and ~950 megabytes for ipad. There are quite a few devices out there times these amounts to download...

It was released

Thanks
Darren
http://www.mellowd.co.uk/ccie

I think the inference is that iOS 7 caused the extra traffic by being available for download.

There are just a lot of Apple devices, and they tend to get upgraded more promptly than other platforms (e.g. on release day). We saw a similar phenomenon tracking downloads of the root zone DNSSEC trust anchor from data.iana.org -- we now see three million downloads per month, and pretty much all of those are iOS devices (or other devices impersonating them, which seems unlikely).

Joe

Apple pushed out a new software upgrade for their user interface...a pretty
big upgrade, all the iphone users are downloading it congesting the network.

Garrison Carr

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has been
sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally protected.
If you are not the intended recipient or have received this message in
error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or otherwise use this
message or its attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and permanently delete this message and any attachments. NTT America
makes no warranty that this email is error or virus free. Thank you .

Major update & provides many of 5S functionality to the 5, 4S, & 4

Composed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive typos.

I don't see how operators could tolerate this, honestly. I can't think of a single provider who does not oversubscribe their access platform... Which leads me to this question :

Why does apple feel it is okay to send every mobile device an update on a single day?

Never mind the fact that we are we ones on the last mile responsible for getting it to their customers, 1gb per sub is pretty serious.. Why are they not caching at their head ends, dslams, etc?

The vast majority of the traffic I saw was served from the Akamai farm at an upstream provider, so the pain that was felt 'on the backbone' was mitigated somewhat by that.

jms

Haven't updated my iPad yet but the iPhone update size was 1.12GB

iOS 7 itself was implemented.

~Seth

Okay, that makes sense. Just wanted to ensure it wasn't something more sinister.

Thanks,

- ferg

Tens of millions of devices multiplied times a fairly large download =
lots of bandwidth. It has an appreciable affect on the worldwide
Internet. I would love to see some aggregate statistics.

With most phones the carrier takes care of doing phone software updates
and rollouts over a period of time since they all have customized versions
of Android/Windows Phone/etc. Apple controls their phone software so they
just hit the switch at a certain data/time and let as many people update
as their servers can handle. Not to mention all the IPads which they
chose to update at the same time.

Last time around we saw a sustained increase in traffic for about a week
after the release date.

-Phil

They don't, these are users who actively goes into the software upgrade menu and pressing "upgrade".

I believe the nagging won't start for quite some time.

I own a galaxy note 2..tmo ran an update that pushed to unique IMEI's sequentially. That way, you do not..

1. Murder your last mike packet network, which is your bandwidth bottleneck.

2. Murder your ggsn/whateverpacketnodeyouwant closer to the core.

3. Anger your paying customers who would like to use packet data successfully on an ios download day.

These people (Apple) represent themselves as smart guys, but their actions reflect otherwise. I bet this would be a larger deal to Nanog people if your Internet stopped working as the result of 100% Linux adoption. That is very close to what this is.. Tens of millions of people trying to update their 13 ios devices at the same time. Who owns a single ios device? A household could do 5-10gb worth of updates in a single day..

I personally do not own an ios device, and I see close to 3 gigs worth of update traffic at my house. These things are everywhere, and this problem will not stop.

Can someone please explain to a non-Apple person what the hell happened
that started generating so much traffic? Perhaps I missed it in this
thread, but I would be curious to know what iOS 7 implemented that
caused this...

all the borders and highlights from the discarded skeuomorphisms cloged
up the intertubes bigtime

randy

Apple actually tries to rate-limit the notifications to prevent this, but
you can just manually go check and hit the upgrade button yourself. It's
pretty well-known that Apple likes to release ~10am, so tens (hundreds?) of
millions of users did just that. Since this update is available for all
iThingies made in the last 4-ish years that means a lot of extra traffic.

My iPhone4 was about 600MB IIRC. My iPad mini was about that. I have
about 7 iDevices between everyone in my immediate family. FWIW not a
single one has actually received the notification yet. I've only manually
done my 2 devices. I'm waiting to see how long it takes before I get the
'official' notification of an update on the others.

I don't see how operators could tolerate this, honestly. I can't think of a single provider who does not oversubscribe their access platform... Which leads me to this question :

Why does apple feel it is okay to send every mobile device an update on a single day?

Never mind the fact that we are we ones on the last mile responsible for getting it to their customers, 1gb per sub is pretty serious.. Why are they not caching at their head ends, dslams, etc?

As far as I was aware, it was at least staggered throughout the day, so there's some concession.

Also a reason to have some CDNs in any large deployment, I guess. I saw a spike in our Akamai traffic, but only slight.