How polluted is 1/8?

Having this data is useful, but I can't help to think it would be
more useful if it were compared with 27/8, or other networks. Is
this slightly worse, or significantly worse than other networks?

I have only anecdotal information regarding 45/8.

45/8 is assigned to Interop, and as such it is brought up-and-down as Interop's shows move in and out of convention centers. Starting at least 5 years ago, it has proved impractical to start announcing 45/8, since this causes immediate and massive amounts of traffic to flow into the show network.

The last time that I know that the full 45/8 was announced, traffic settled down to about a full T3's worth of bandwidth before the network engineers started announcing smaller /16 chunks as actually needed. Even /16 has proved impractical while the network is being built-out, before the show, because the build-out site typically has T1-ish bandwidth---again, saturated with a /16 being announced.

This information is very different from the RIPE Labs experiment which I think showed that certain "obvious" addresses (1.1.1.1 seemed to be the kicker in my short reading of their report) were being mis-used heavily. But I suspect that 27/8 would have similar issues to 45/8.

However, it is not clear to me that this is different from any other /8. In other words, for those that have a /8, they probably DO have to put up with a T3-worth of garbage flowing their way before they move the first useful packet. However, you don't get a /8 unless a T3 is small potatoes to you, hence...

jms

I would hope that the APNIC would opt not to assign networks that would contain 1.1.1.1 or 1.2.3.4 to customers for exactly that reason. The signal-to-noise ratio for those addresses is likely pretty high. The noise is likely contained on many internal networks for now because a corresponding route doesn't show up in the global routing table at the moment. Once that changes....

I could see holding those prefixes aside for research purposes (spam traps, honey pots, etc...).

jms

I think it is too bad that we didn't have the forethought to route all of those networks to 100-watt resistors some years ago.

When I last was admin of a small-corner of the world I routed a lot of that kind of traffic (I don't remember it 1/? was part of that or not) to the null interface.

If some unfortunate soul does get 1.1.1.1, 1.2.3.4, 1.3.3.7, etc, they
would also likely experience significant global reachability problems in addition to all of the unintended noise that gets sent their way.

There are many sites that specifically filter those addresses, in addition to those that don't update bogon filters, or assume "no one will _ever_ get 1.2.3.4!" :slight_smile:

jms

If some unfortunate soul does get 1.1.1.1, 1.2.3.4, 1.3.3.7, etc, they
would also likely experience significant global reachability problems
in
addition to all of the unintended noise that gets sent their way.

There are many sites that specifically filter those addresses, in
addition to those that don't update bogon filters, or assume "no one
will _ever_ get 1.2.3.4!" :slight_smile:

They would make great DNS server IPs for someone who wanted to host them. :slight_smile:

Deepak

Just because I find it amusing timing... today I sat in a vendor presentation where he connected to his company's demo site and I smiled as I saw IP addresses in 45/8 (as well as 10/8 and others).

1.1.1/24 and 1.2.3/24 are assigned to APNIC. Unless they release them, the general public will not get addresses in these.

Yes, I did see that. What I noticed yesterday was that there were no prefixes that cover 1.1.1.1 or 1.2.3.4 being announced globally at that
point.

jms