Found: Who is responsible for no more IP addresses

"World to run out of IP addresses soon, Internet expert says"

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/sci/2011-01/26/c_13708282.htm

"Vint Cerf, who helped create IPv4 in 1977 and one of the founding fathers of the Web, told Australia's Sydney Morning Herald that IP addresses will be used up soon, perhaps within weeks.

"I thought it was an experiment and I thought that 4.3 billion IPv4 addresses would be enough to do an experiment," Cerf was quoted as saying, adding it is his "fault" that "we were running out of the addresses.""

Glad we cleared that up! :slight_smile:

-Hank

Class Action? :wink:

...Skeeve

Fortunately, web developers have fixed the problem according to Fox news:

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/26/internet-run-ip-addresses-happens-anyones-guess/

"Web developers have tried to compensate for this problem by creating IPv6 -- a system that recognizes six-digit IP addresses rather than four-digit ones."

It will be difficult initially, though:

"But IPv6 isn't backwards-compatible with IPv4, meaning that it's not able to read most content that operates on an IPv4 system. At best, the user experience will be clunky and slow. At worst, instead of a webpage, all users will be able to view is a blank page."

I'm glad Fox has cleared all this up for us.

Nick

Him, admitting fault, well then, why should we spend money on IPv6, if
it's his fault does that mean he will come to our business to roll out
v6?

Let's get a list together of who he will visit first :slight_smile:

G

Gary Steers
Sharedband NOC/3rd Line Support
E: gary.steers@sharedband.com

"I thought it was an experiment and I thought that 4.3 billion IPv4
addresses would be enough to do an experiment," Cerf was quoted as saying,
adding it is his "fault" that "we were running out of the addresses.""

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/26/internet-run-ip-addresses-happens-anyones-guess/

"Web developers have tried to compensate for this problem by creating IPv6 -- a system that recognizes six-digit IP addresses rather than four-digit ones."

"But IPv6 isn't backwards-compatible with IPv4, meaning that it's not able to read most content that operates on an IPv4 system. At best, the user experience will be clunky and slow. At worst, instead of a webpage, all users will be able to view is a blank page."

I guess they are hiring TSA rejects. No other way to explain the cluelessness

:-)

-Hank

"I thought it was an experiment and I thought that 4.3 billion IPv4
addresses would be enough to do an experiment," Cerf was quoted as saying,
adding it is his "fault" that "we were running out of the addresses.""

Consider the source... Fox -- All the news that's fit to misquote. (or something like that).

Those guys never get anything technical or political right.*

ROFLMAO

Owen

*In order for Fox to sue me for libel, they first have to prove my statement is false.

I'm a bit torn on this issue. I haven't even heard any other "main-stream" sources say anything on this topic. But Incorrect info is bad too.

I hope the viewers who watched this are getting the gist that "Something wicked this way comes". :slight_smile:

LOL

- Brian J.

I believe that's the only message foxnews puts out, if their viewing
audience is missing that... then we all have very much larger issues
:frowning:

"It's the end of the web as we know it. " We are doomed !!

Glad to know that, since a large percentage of it suxs.

Can we go back to the ftp.funet.fi (still up !! ) and gopher ?

Cheers
Jorge

I really wish people would keep their personal/political bias outside the list unless it is specific and relevant. What other "main-stream" news organization has made any reports on this issue?

To be clear, FOX screwed this up big time, but that doesn't mean we all need to get out our personal/political pitchforks and run them out of town. Take your Ritalin. :slight_smile:

- Brian J.

Which host? archie.sura.net

- Jared

I really wish people would keep their personal/political bias outside the list unless it is specific and relevant. What other "main-stream" news organization has made any reports on this issue?

As much as I agree with the comments people have made, you're right, they aren't appropriate for this forum. However, it *is* possible to cover properly:

IP Address Shortage Has ISPs Scrambling For Space
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=128907099

Fox didn't screw up, for a change, and Vint's quote appears in many
other news sources. Apparently, I'm the only one on Nanog who knows
about this new thing called The Google. :slight_smile:

Thinking that Fox "News" is not a reputable news source is not, indeed,
an opinion attributable *solely* to non-Republicans, and indeed, it's easy
to prove in a documentary, non-partisan fashion.

Cheers,
-- jra

Fox (in the linked article) didn't quote Vint.

They said useful things like this:

source:

"It's the end of the web as we know it."

And this is -not- what the article said before:
"Web developers have compensated for this problem by creating IPv6 -- a system which recognizes 128-bit addresses as opposed to IPv4's 32-bit addresses."

Originally (an hour ago) it read something like
"Web developers have compensated for this problem by creating IPv6 -- a system which uses 6 digit addresses instead of 4 digit addresses"

here's the original quote (which a friend had pasted to me):

And as replied privately to someone else earlier, that was quoted from Fox news IPv6
website, http://wwwwww.foxnews.com :slight_smile:

Jeff

[WES] Don't kid yourself, defending a "reputable news organization" for not
properly checking their facts on a technical story before publishing is
politically motivated too, especially when you try to imply that being willing
to call out inaccurate (technical) info in the news is somehow related to
one's political party.

The article that everyone is causing everyone to make fun of Fox news for says
nothing about Vint.
Fox news has posted two separate articles, both of which have been factually
incorrect.
and
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/07/26/world-run-internet-addresses-year-experts-predict/

They at least corrected the first one - "Editors' Note: An earlier version of
this story erroneously described an IP address as consisting of four digits,
rather than four sets of digits, and inaccurately described the IP address.
This story has been updated to reflect the correction."
But this gem still exists in the first article: "Web developers have
compensated for this problem by creating IPv6". At least there's *probably*
some web developers at IETF that might have had a hand in creating IPv6, so
that one's not technically incorrect...

The second one from several months ago is still borked:
"IPv4, ... the unique 32-digit number used to identify each computer, website
or internet-connected device. ... The solution to the problem is IPv6, which
uses a 128-digit address." So, first it was 32 digits, then it was 4 digits...

FWIW, Marketplace (on NPR) did a story the other night too. It wasn't
necessarily incorrect, but it was so dumbed down that they managed to talk
about IPv4 exhaustion without mentioning the words "IPv4" or "IPv6"
http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2011/01/25/pm-internet-running-out-of-digital-addresses/

Wes George

George, Wes E [NTK] wrote:

The second one from several months ago is still borked:
"IPv4, ... the unique 32-digit number used to identify each computer, website or internet-connected device. ... The solution to the problem is IPv6, which uses a 128-digit address." So, first it was 32 digits, then it was 4 digits...

Wes George

Confusion can be purposeful. See http://www.justicequest.net/forums/showpost.php?p=457015&postcount=4

Perhaps, it would be possible to effect some - *to switch-off* their netted computers/devices for a period no less than 6 months - such that their computers/devices are able to properly adjust to changes. O:-)

Best.

What I don't understand is I can only guess they must have a IT team.
And Maybe even 1 or more people that view this list. Why don't they just
talk to there own staff about the issues? Maybe one of the IT guess saw
the issues talked about the articles and contacted the news team about
the bad info. I donno. I agree they kind of did a poor job on this.

If you work at FOX maybe you should help get the news guys on the right
page. :slight_smile:

Sincerely,

Mark

Coming from broadcast engineering prior to my current IT gig, let me tell you that in most larger broadcast organizations the tech folk are rather fortunate if the talent knows who they are at all, and even more fortunate if the talent takes instruction from them; the right people to get to are the producers. Most of the time, large broadcaster talent and producers (and managers) aren't terribly receptive to corrections from technical staff.

I was in a very good situation in the stations for which I worked; but they were smaller organizations. I always felt like a valuable part of the team, and I and the talent were great friends, as they knew I cared about making them look and sound good.

In the age of conglomeration, central IT/engineering, and outsourcing, it may be that the actual production outfit for whom the talent directly works is not the same organization for whom the IT folk work, and the broadcast tech folk may work for someone entirely different. Additionally, the IT and tech staff are many of the times terribly understaffed, and may not even pay attention to the actual product going over the air, concentrating on the transmission, computer, automation, or studio operations/production systems technical operation rather than the content transmitted. Or they're fixing yet another virus infection; perhaps they might even get docked for correcting such an error with 'shouldn't you have been working instead of watching our news?'

Now, if that tech happens to be the operator on duty in master control, he or she can sometimes have QA feedback capability, but not always, and almost never directly to the talent.

So, a good case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand does.

And once it is on the air, it's very difficult to get it changed; egg in the face, you know. The fact that it was changed at all should speak volumes, IMO. Someone did catch at least part of the error, and had sufficient feedback capability to get it corrected.