Feedback - SBC Vendors.

I am going to have to install a series of SBCs for a voice offering connected to Microsoft Teams. We are going to pass the SIP traffic off to a larger number of SIP providers. I would like to get some feedback from the group on SBC vendors. I have two options for vendors Ribbon or AudioCodes. I am leaning towards a software based SBC over an appliance.

Would be helpful to get the other members feedback on Ribbon or AudioCodes deployments within their networks.

Cheers
Ryan

Hello:Unfortunately, we use Oracle SBC due to our text requirements.
Cytus Ramirez

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 7:57 PM, Ryan Finnesey<ryan@finnesey.com> wrote: I am going to have to install a series of SBCs for a voice offering connected to Microsoft Teams. We are going to pass the SIP traffic off to a larger number of SIP providers. I would like to get some feedback from the group on SBC vendors. I have two options for vendors Ribbon or AudioCodes. I am leaning towards a software based SBC over an appliance.

Would be helpful to get the other members feedback on Ribbon or AudioCodes deployments within their networks.

Cheers
Ryan

I have a few things to add to this because I’ve been through the ringer when it comes to SBCs.

1) I didn’t know AudioCodes still made SBCs. But at one point in time, they absorbed NetRake and promised NetRake’s customers that they’d continue looking after the product. A couple of years after that deal was done, they discontinued support with only a few months warning. So given their track record, maybe it’s something to avoid.

2) No opinion on Ribbon. I’ve never worked with their stuff. If you’re looking for suitable market alternatives for feature and pricing comparison, check out Genband and Sansay.

3) Avoid Oracle’s SBCs like the plague. They used to be Acme Packet, the industry gold standard. But under Oracle, they’ve crushed themselves under the weight of their own apathy. I’ve had nothing but support nightmares. I still to this day have a pair of broken 3830s that they refuse to take a look at.

4) The notion that software based solutions are better than hardware ones is a good notion. On modern hardware, a dual-core VM can process a few thousand simultaneous calls at very healthy and respectable tear-down and set-up rates. And hardware is always going to be more expensive than software.

-Daniel

I work for a Telephone/ISP/CATV/Security company....

We used ACME Packet SBC years ago, then migrated to our MetaSwitch IP phone system with Perimeta SBC

https://www.metaswitch.com/products/core-network/perimeta-sbc

If you would like to talk to the voice engineers that I work with, let me know and I can put you in touch with them. They work closely with those two products

(Like I said we migrate away from Acme packet years ago, from what I understand it might be an Oracle product now)

Aaron

Which Ribbon product are you looking at? There are quite a few now and
they have different code bases/features.

JM

I was looking at SBC SWe (Software Edition) I think the same code base as the - SBC 5400 – appliance.

You might want to drop this question on the VoiceOps list:

voiceops@voiceops.org

It runs at a good signal-to-noise ratio, so you'll get some useful responses.

David

Thanks I will post there as well

I second what's been said about ACME Packet; loved them when we first got
them, phasing them out now in favor of Ribbon due to what a pain Oracle has
been to deal with.

We're all hardware on the Ribbon side, using both the 5k line and some
premise 1k SBC's. They've been fine so far.