Facebook down!! Alert!

Especially for Facebook alerts.. You are propagating a false perception that everyone cares.

-g

you've forgotten that facebook (and indeed twitter too) are service providers that provide business-critical services.

just because you don't want to play facebook games doesn't make a facebook outage any less operationally relevant than, say, an akamai or limelight outage.

I would imagine more businesses benefit from a FB outage in terms of a
tick up in productivity versus businesses harmed by a FB outage, e.g.
Zygna. So, net net a FB outage could be seen as a positive thing in
the course of a work day.

-matt

just because you don't want to play facebook games doesn't make a facebook
outage any less operationally relevant than, say, an akamai or limelight
outage.

IMO which may be way off base, when akamai goes off the air, people lose potential sales/revenue. when facebook goes off the air, a greater number of companies become more efficient than those who suffer productivity loss.

yes, it is worth mention, but else where, like twitter or on your wall.

-g

It's back up. There goes that short burst of productivity.

> Ditto In AU and from other reports US.
> Guess productivity will go up :wink:

The irony is that the short burst of productivity was spent troubleshooting if Facebook was up or down.

so the majority defines operational now, huh? wow. nice to know that network service providers outnumber other companies these days... (of course, those service providers also make their money from facebook consumers....)

Perhaps, then, we should instead be discussing the business benefits of blocking facebook so companies can regain productivity?

No, the majority does not define what "operational" means. Facebook is
not a mission critical internet resource (such as a fiber cut, power
loss at a peering point, DoS attack. Please let's end this thread (And
others of its ilk here and now).

OpenDNS is my favorite for blocking things like FB and all sorts of other productivity killers.

The information in this email and any attachments are for the sole use of the intended recipient and may contain privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or distribution of this message or attachment is strictly prohibited. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the email and all of its attachments

Passes Andrew the shotgun... Please kill all FB threads with it. :slight_smile:

The only thing I noticed being down last night is battle.net ;). Guess you know where my priorities are. Lol

-Rg

not a mission critical internet resource -to you-

Minecraft.net keeps going down, maybe we should start a thread about that, too!

Nathan

to be clear, I could give a damn about if we talk about this on nanog or not. (and I agree that outages is the right place to announce outages, and outage-discuss to discuss them).

my point is that facebook has moved beyond being a pure content provider, and (much like, say, google) provide both content AND service. I have dependancies on facebook's (as do many many others who perhaps dont yet hire folks who even know what nanog is but someday will) services. without them, my teams can't work and my employeer loses signiicant figures of revenue per day.

so facebook is very much operationally relevant for my network, and that these mixed content/service providers will be more and more relevant as time goes on and we as a community should figure out how to deal with their transition from pure content to perhaps some day pure service.

My company buys firearms, so I am going to start posting to nanog every
time my service providers go down (Springfield Armory, Rock River Arms,
Volkmann Custom, and Benelli). Certainly they're a website, but without
that website I can't order the firearms which costs me significant
figures of revenue per day.
Perhaps your company buys widgets of some sort?

That is not however a core networking issue. Facebook outages may be
important to your company, and I do some business on there as well, but
NANOG is not a list where non-bandwidth vendor outages should be
reported. (unless you like guns too!)

Andrew

Yes, but anytime something spikes the number of calls at my help desk, that
*is* an operational issue, even if it's something stupid in the eyes of the
savvy network engineers that hang out here...

my point is that facebook has moved beyond being a pure content provider, and (much like, say, google) provide both content AND service. I have dependancies on facebook's (as do many many others who perhaps dont yet hire folks who even know what nanog is but someday will) services. without them, my teams can't work and my employeer loses signiicant figures of revenue per day.

Why can't your teams work? Do they have email? I'm trying to imagine what
operational scenarios are involved between the technical staff in a company
that depend on Facebook being up, unless you're working for Facebook.

Even if I were not email inclined, I'd set up a local XMPP server do to my
communication.

so facebook is very much operationally relevant for my network, and that these mixed content/service providers will be more and more relevant as time goes on and we as a community should figure out how to deal with their transition from pure content to perhaps some day pure service.

How we deal with it is to create a viable distributed version of it.

This thread proves too me yet again that nanog is the internets equivalent of a giant panty raid. This isn't the outages list & I am rather annoyed that we must discuss junk social media sites such as facebook. Just because you are panicing does not mean that the thousands of people on this list give a flying rats ass that facebook is down!
Can we please discuss relevant topics such as running networks? (for instance NOT @#$@#$ing FACEBOOK!)
This list over the last year has just gone soo far downhill that I am most likely going to unsubscribe from it as I don't get any technical benefit from the garbage that is discussed on this list 99.999999999999999% of the time.

--Tammy

Giant Panty Raid. Now I know what I'll be calling my weekend/overnight
shifts. Who says being a Network Engineer can't be fun?

Q

I've always looked at the nanog list representing issues up to layer 4 of the OSI model; mostly layer 3/4. Maybe a new mailing list could be made called the North American Network Applications Group (nanag)...there might be a pun there :).

Bret

The only way in which I can see facebook as required for operations is when one is hosting apps that must interact with the facbook API. Facebook is a site we keep an eye on from our NOC simply because it is important to a lot our larger transit customers due to them having apps that require facebook API access. We tend to also get calls from the .edu sites we service when it has outages.

That being said, facebook outages are not really an internal problem for us and it would seem odd to trust bussness proccesses to free social network site.

John / AS11404