Experience with Juniper MX-80s

Hello NANOG Group,

I am curious if anyone has any experiences positive or negative with Juniper MX-80s. Our recent experience with Juniper has not been great both in terms of new product offerings (SRX) and software bugs in the recent revs of Junos for the MX platform. I want to know if the MX-80 functions as advertised and in specific can properly handle two full IPv4 and IPv6 BGP feeds

Thanks in advance,

Babak

Babak,

For one of our customers we run two MX-80's. Both with two full routing peers plus a lot of other smaller BGP peerings at a local IX. So far no strange behaviour or poor performance. Peerings are all IPv4 and IPv6. I don't know if you would need specific features but for the basic border router functionality it seems to perform as expected.

Regards,
Mark

I am curious if anyone has any experiences positive or negative with
Juniper MX-80s.

they seem to work

Our recent experience with Juniper has not been great both in terms of
new product offerings (SRX) and software bugs in the recent revs of
Junos for the MX platform.

yes, juniper has become a router vendor of sufficient scale to have all
the good and the bad. such is life.

I want to know if the MX-80 functions as advertised and in specific
can properly handle two full IPv4 and IPv6 BGP feeds

easily

randy

I'm curious about these too. Specifically, does anyone have experience/thoughts on the anti-DDoS features? I know there are scenarios it wouldn't begin to address, but are they worth spending time to fiddle with? Also, is anyone taking JFlow off of them? We're trying to figure out how much we could sample while doing about 900Mbps. I'm not sure what our PPS looks like off the top of my head.

TIA.

I'm probably way off here, but: Imagine an MX with a single RE, 1
MX-MPC2-3D-Q that can be populated with your choice of MICs in FPC-1
and 1 MIC-3D-4XGE-XFP in FPC-0. But, they run a little hot.

-b

this has been covered more extensively on the juniper nsp list -- be
sure to check those archives as well

/joshua