"Cyber Shockwave" on CNN

US carried out "Cyber Shockwave" - an exercise by non-government actors who have close relations to the government past.

The results will be aired on CNN this weekend.

Intelligence suggests the scenario was not standard and that a crash in the smart phone network was used as a concept of how US National Security *could* be compromised in 2011.

CNN had exclusive television access to the national security cyber “war game” scenario.

The simulated attack took place on Tuesday and was host by members of The Bipartisan Policy Center and will debut on Saturday, Feb. 20 and Sunday, Feb. 21 at 8pm, 11pm and 2am ET on CNN.

I hope the Nanog community can tune in or watch later on catch up services and give feedback on your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Andrew

the details were in the press days ago. 83.2% scare, negligible lessons
we can actually put in practice without becoming (more of) a police
state.

randy

US carried out "Cyber Shockwave" - an exercise by non-government actors who have close relations to the government past.

s/US/CNN/
s/exercise/show/
s/close relations/been paid by CNN to show off their relations/

The results will be aired on CNN this weekend.

s/results/show/

It looks like this demo is pressing ahead for the intro of allowing the US Government to take control of private sector networks "in an emergency"... and wants to include smart phones into the bargin.

Or at least that is my interpretation of what the demo is trying to convince us on.

Cyber Shockwave Reveals Unsettling Answers ---

http://www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/frameset.php?pageid=http%3A//www.mi2g.com/cgi/mi2g/press/180210.php

Andrew

It looks like this demo is

a bunch of sick press and sick ex-gov wishtheycouldbeagains trying to
get as much mindshare as they can. and you're helping them.

randy

I refuse to let you say I am helping them -- I am from UK, I don't agree with them wanting to allow The NSA to take over private sector networks or citizens smart phones 'in an emergency'.

Andrew

andrew.wallace wrote:

It looks like this demo is pressing ahead for the intro of allowing the US Government to take control of private sector networks
"in an emergency"... and wants to include smart phones into the bargin.

Or at least that is my interpretation of what the demo is trying to convince us on.

Cyber Shockwave Reveals Unsettling Answers ---

mi2g

Andrew

My favorite: "What was most troubling to the participants was their inability to find a guilty party."

Enough hype. This was an exercise in self promotion by retired beaurocrats posturing for private gigs. The US gov publicly disassociated themselves from this.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

They could of at least of said Al-Queda for the sake of the programme. :slight_smile:

It's obvious though, they don't know who the enemy would be.

They try however, to generally say China and Russia have the strongest *cyber* capability... however, there is no intelligence that either countries are 'planning' such an attack.

It's all 'what if'.

Bring us actual intelligence on a threat that X regime wants to Y to cause Z instead of throw away doomsday scenarios with no real-life context.

The suicide bombers are happy doing their suicides, the Russians are happy keeping their nukes pointing at US with a 33 minute ATA, and The Mossad are happy carrying out their hotel assassinations.

And The Chinese are possibly happy doing corporate espionage.

I don't see any of US's enemies suddenly turning 'cyber' on us.

Sure, those enemies are using the internet for espoinage, but its not within their interest to take down US networks, because then they wouldn't have espoinage routes in and out of America anymore.

They could do it to try and blind The NSA, but that would be blinding their own signals intelligence operations in and out of US as well.

Andrew

It's obvious though, they don't know who the enemy would be.

i suspect the old walt kelly saying may fit well here.

randy

It's "Night of the Living Fed!", ex-bureaucrats brought back to life!

They just don't know what to do, they don't know what to focus on,
they're obsessed with whether or not they can manage to Mirandize
whoever is responsible for the attack and similar legal authorities.

Those who can't see this broadcast, trust me, you're not missing
anything, it's inane. Maybe a bit scary in how clueless these people
are, they can't even fake sounding like they're effective.

It's painfully clear that the only skill one needs to get one of these
top-level cabinet positions (which most of them have served in in the
recent past) is the skill to get one of these top-level cabinet
positions, join the right clubs, play golf, be born or marry well,
etc. These are not the product of a meritocracy, they're the product
of incest.

haha that was pretty damn funny!!!

My favorite: "What was most troubling to the participants was their
inability to find a guilty party."

Wasn't Jeff Williams and his army of 100+ thousand trolls ?

Right, because GCHQ doesn't/hasn't/never would do such a thing...

At least the US has a written constitution and the concept of the people being sovereign.

I'll take that over trusting "Her Majesty's..." whatever.

But then again, I'm Irish, so I have a bit more direct personal and familial experience of the darker side of British "civilization". (EG: While detention without trial is relatively NEW in the US, it's been a fact of life in the UK for most of its history).

plonk - moron

At least the US has a written constitution and the concept of the
people being sovereign.

and a room im sf where at&t hands all their internet and voice to the
nsa. right. and the list is long. internet and voie traffic are no
longer private in the least sense. and cisco builds taps into all the
devices. it goes on and on.

you may have missed the last decade where the constitution kinda went
out the window.

randy

Voice over IP over IPSEC is still relatively private.

Internet over IPSEC or bi-directional keyed (auth+enc) SSL is still
relatively private.

Anything else never really was, even if it wasn't the government listening
to you before.

Agreed about the gov't throwing the constitution out the window, however.

Owen

Right, because GCHQ doesn't/hasn't/never would do such a thing...

At least the US has a written constitution and the concept of the people being sovereign.

I'll take that over trusting "Her Majesty's..." whatever.

But then again, I'm Irish, so I have a bit more direct personal and familial experience of the darker side of British "civilization". (EG: While detention without trial is relatively NEW in the US, it's been a fact of life in the UK for most of its history).

And in Ireland too.