Coop Peering Fabric??

Warning: This may actually be operational too.

Given Cogent (and others) recent pursuit of sub $4/mb/s transit... and the relatively flat cost of a "paid" peering fabric (even at 10G) and the O(N) costs for cross-connects, the thought of revisiting the old peering coops presented itself again.

Assuming 10G PNI model: Assuming even nominal cross-connect fees of $100-$300/month per fiber pair, plus router port costs for each private peer (assuming you aren't at >10% utilization on the port) at a commercial exchange, you are eating a pretty significant cost per megabit you are actually moving. (plug in your numbers here). Assumption: Above 1Gb/s utilization, this makes sense or you are counting on growth.

Below 10% you would normally go to a paid peering fabric where you are paying cross connect + a flat port charge + router port for 1->N peers and hoping that enough utilization occurs that you get >10% utilization (to recover capex, opex, etc) and then whatever additional utilization you need to cover the flat port charge or you are counting on growth.

A "coop", best-effort switch fabric colo'd at a few sites would allow participants to peer off traffic at a price of the order of a single cross-connect (~$500/month per 10G port is possible, maybe less), private-VLANs all-around, or to only-mutually approved peers (e.g. via an automated web interface, prior art) to avoid many of the /old/ issues. No requirement for multi-lateral peering. You could peer, sell transit, buy transit, multicast, etc.

The way I figure it, it removes approximately an order of magnitude from the operational cost of peering with more than a handful of your largest single talkers. Especially as 100G LAN Ethernet becomes production before 100G WAN connections become commonplace. Economic theory (assuming that worked on the Internet) suggests this would allow for the increase in number of peers by approximately an order of magnitude (maybe more).

Does this actually improve the present-day "rationale" to peer, or are most operations' costs so far above (from long haul, etc) or so far below (since the cost of transit has dropped so much) that this is no longer a relevant part of the equation?

Warning: This may actually be operational too.

Deepak Jain
AiNET

As a big ra-ra guy around peering, I thought this might be interesting, but I do not think I agree with the numbers.

Given Cogent (and others) recent pursuit of sub $4/mb/s transit... and the relatively flat cost of a "paid" peering fabric (even at 10G) and the O(N) costs for cross-connects, the thought of revisiting the old peering coops presented itself again.

The $4/Mbps & under prices is usually reserved for very large CIR or full pipe. With a full pipe, assuming you are very, very, very good, you still pay $5 or more. (I'm assuming a max of 8 Gbps on a 10G pipe, which seems overly optimistic IMHO.) But that's not important to the discussion.

Assuming 10G PNI model: Assuming even nominal cross-connect fees of $100-$300/month per fiber pair, plus router port costs for each private peer (assuming you aren't at >10% utilization on the port) at a commercial exchange, you are eating a pretty significant cost per megabit you are actually moving. (plug in your numbers here). Assumption: Above 1Gb/s utilization, this makes sense or you are counting on growth.

Define "significant"?

Taking 1 Gbps (10%), and assuming even 20K per 10G port over 2 years, adding in $300/month for the x-conn, you are still looking at barely over $1/Mbps. If you have more than 10% utilization, that number goes down. Is that significant? Compared to what? Transit?

I would say a 75% price reduction is pretty significant. Plus you haven't considered CapEx cost for the transit ports.

Below 10% you would normally go to a paid peering fabric where you are paying cross connect + a flat port charge + router port for 1->N peers and hoping that enough utilization occurs that you get >10% utilization (to recover capex, opex, etc) and then whatever additional utilization you need to cover the flat port charge or you are counting on growth.

Here we agree. The port fee even on european IXes is measured in 1000s of $$ per month. And don't get me started on US or Japanese ports....

A "coop", best-effort switch fabric colo'd at a few sites would allow participants to peer off traffic at a price of the order of a single cross-connect (~$500/month per 10G port is possible, maybe less), private-VLANs all-around, or to only-mutually approved peers (e.g. via an automated web interface, prior art) to avoid many of the /old/ issues. No requirement for multi-lateral peering. You could peer, sell transit, buy transit, multicast, etc.

The way I figure it, it removes approximately an order of magnitude from the operational cost of peering with more than a handful of your largest single talkers. Especially as 100G LAN Ethernet becomes production before 100G WAN connections become commonplace. Economic theory (assuming that worked on the Internet) suggests this would allow for the increase in number of peers by approximately an order of magnitude (maybe more).

Sorry, I can't get there.

First, the "largest single talkers" would not be on a shared fabric, they'd be on dedicated ports, so this idea doesn't help.

For the medium to small guys, I think it's a great idea. Look at SIX, TorIX, PaNAP, etc. But shaving an _order of magnitude_ off? No, I don't see it. CapEx alone is more than 10% of your cost. (Well, unless you get Japanese IX ports or the most expensive US IX ports.)

Perhaps I'm lost or confused? Can someone help me understand?

$0/month per 10G port is common enough.

https://www.seattleix.net/faq.htm

Why pay someone else to let you use an Ethernet switch? Presumably if
you can configure BGP, plugging into an Ethernet switch is well within
your core competency.

-Bill

Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

As a big ra-ra guy around peering, I thought this might be interesting, but I do not think I agree with the numbers.

I think you read this thinking I meant something I didn't mean; perhaps I should have used a different set of prepositions.

[deleted the discussion about utilization and CIRs, that is up to everyone to engineer and negotiate, my point shouldn't be so fragile as to require quoting spot pricing in markets @ various commits].

Define "significant"?

If you are running << 1Gb/s per PNI it is "expensive".

Taking 1 Gbps (10%), and assuming even 20K per 10G port over 2 years, adding in $300/month for the x-conn, you are still looking at barely over $1/Mbps. If you have more than 10% utilization, that number goes down. Is that significant? Compared to what? Transit?

You have costs. Below 1Gb/s I'm stating they are "significant". The assumption above says it "automatically makes sense" above 1Gb/s or you are counting on growth with a starting point below 1Gb/s. The idea of presenting the PNI case was to avoid this sort of response. Obviously I didn't draw enough attention to the assumptions.

I would say a 75% price reduction is pretty significant. Plus you haven't considered CapEx cost for the transit ports.

Depends on the business. 75% may not be enough if a network's opex costs (PP&E) are high enough that this doesn't help. Again, I was trying to avoid painting the picture for any particular network, but more of the industry's interested parties as a whole.

Here we agree. The port fee even on european IXes is measured in 1000s of $$ per month. And don't get me started on US or Japanese ports....

I was thinking of US ports, but modeling based on LINX pricing.

Sorry, I can't get there.

First, the "largest single talkers" would not be on a shared fabric, they'd be on dedicated ports, so this idea doesn't help.

I excluded "largest single talkers" by saying "more than a handful of your largest single talkers. Semantically, the assumption in PNI was that at 1Gb or above PNI makes sense [or you'd soon get there]." The question I asked was really related to the idea. If you have a few sensible PNIs, presumably you have enough traffic that you could conceivably have many potential peers at levels below the PNI case, but above the degenerate traffic case. (0, maybe 20mb/s, some number that isn't interesting enough to engineer for [or even consider] unless you have a nearly zero marginal cost to approach it)

For the medium to small guys, I think it's a great idea. Look at SIX, TorIX, PaNAP, etc. But shaving an _order of magnitude_ off? No, I don't see it. CapEx alone is more than 10% of your cost. (Well, unless you get Japanese IX ports or the most expensive US IX ports.)

Perhaps I'm lost or confused? Can someone help me understand?

You and Woodcock make a good point (re: SIX @ zero cost). However, ~20Gb/s aggregate is at most saving $80K/month between all participants for the additional traffic, which is pretty academic given the costs of operating networks of any sufficient scale [without looking at the constituency of the participants or the traffic]. If *each* network were saving $80K/month through the use of a few of these in multiple cities, that would be interesting to me.

I guess they would be more interesting deployed in Ashburn or some place similar because you could exclude the cost of "bringing" traffic to the exchange if the equipment (and bits) are already transported through that facility.

That said, I can't get with "Capex alone is more than 10% of your cost". I see 4 port Cisco WS-6704s with 4 XENPAKs on Ebay for like $3K/port, but hey, YMMV. There is no real reason to use deep buffers as an interface to a low-cost, low latency fabric, especially when you (and the fabric) can just add ports cheaply.

So I guess this is now meandering. I can present it differently.

Take the most rudimentary part of the SIX model, put it in a few cities where more traffic is exchanged then Seattle, bake, then taste. Wouldn't this be far more preferable (with scale) than the "expensive" US IX ports -- especially for new [rather than existing] traffic -- and as Woodcock mentions, anyone can run it, just requires some scale to be valuable enough; and more importantly, since the effective price of coop IX traffic would be lower than current major IX traffic, wouldn't this encourage more exchange to all participants benefit?

Or (back to my original post) are these costs essentially insignificant to the modern business case given the current set of market dynamics?

Thanks,

Deepak

Bill Woodcock wrote:

> A "coop", best-effort switch fabric colo'd at a few sites would allow
    > participants to peer off traffic at a price of the order of a single
    > cross-connect (~$500/month per 10G port is possible, maybe less),

$0/month per 10G port is common enough.

Frequently Asked Questions | www.seattleix.net

Why pay someone else to let you use an Ethernet switch? Presumably if you can configure BGP, plugging into an Ethernet switch is well within your core competency.

The only point of a fee would be to provide better than "when-we-get-around-to-it" support. Obviously there are ways to achieve this without a fee. There are other benefits too [like the ability to have a real non-profit structure, insurances, and others to address the inevitable subpoena, wire-tapping request, CNN reporter, etc].

The economization of cross-connects (a large percentage of a certain colo provider's gross revenues and profit growth) does NOT occur when each provider sets up its own L2 switch for its peers to connect to -- unless they can peer with each other over that switch too. Which brings you back to a coop.

Deepak

This has been working for years at http://www.torix.net , and on a smaller
scale at http://www.ottix.net

Deepak,

If it were as easy as you make it sound, I can assure you people would
be doing it.

Also, does your Equinix MSA contain a non-compete clause, which could
be interpreted to mean you can't run a competing IX (metro fabric,
exchange, whatever) out of their facilities? I hear many do.

Drive Slow,
PAUL WALL

If it were as easy as you make it sound, I can assure you people would
be doing it.

People are. I (and others) mentioned SIX & TorIX, plus I mentioned PaNAP. Then there's AtlantaIX, although that recently got slurped by TelX. (Hrmmm, could one of the "dangers" of a coop be "borg'ed by for-profit entity looking to rip out every cent they can"? :slight_smile:

Tons of others exist, in big and little markets. There's one in 365 Main SF, there's KleyReX in the same building as DE-CIX, Big APE in 111 8th, NYCx there too, ChicagoIX just opened, etc., etc.

Trust me, it _is_ being done.

Also, does your Equinix MSA contain a non-compete clause, which could
be interpreted to mean you can't run a competing IX (metro fabric,
exchange, whatever) out of their facilities? I hear many do.

So don't run it in an Equinix or S&D cage.

Interesting point.

Speaking from experience for a minute, firstly one would hope that the
co-op members would have to majority vote (hopefully with a reasonable
margin) in favour of the borging to happen.

If the members of the co-op value it's existence and the services they get
from the co-op, they won't vote in favour of a blatantly commercial offer.

There is always the threat of the wolf in sheep's clothing, though.

One option to avoid that situation, or one where "Turkeys vote for
Christmas" (or Thanksgiving, given this is NANOG) could be to put a "poison
pill" into whatever legal basis the co-op has, e.g. in the Mem & Arts, to
basically kill the thing off if someone tries to carpetbag it.

I remember Kurtis telling me about some similar provision in the Foundation
which runs Netnod in Sweden, to avoid capture of the organisation.

Mike
(no hat)

Patrick

Love the Borg comment.

Great thread. Old topic. It recycles every couple of years. Not to speak for telx or Mike L but I do not think anyone was motivated to Borg anything but to support AIX. 10Gig ports are expensive.

I like the idea of more exchange points in that they usually provide more recovery pts and redundancy, allow the sharing of skills and knowledge in the local community, and provide flexibility for growth and change of the internet. How many COs do we have? There has long been the argument of how many IXs are needed, would it be 1 per state? What happens with Voip, IPtv etc.

As for coops I think the argument is would the larger traffic players feel comfortable connecting and making it a part of their networks? Who are the anchors and 1st movers? What are the guarantees that any investment in infrastructure needed to get there will be recovered over X years... Will the coop fold before that pt? Wll it have the resources to upgrade.

I so not think a poison pill is needed. Perhaps just a group or company championing Coops and giving them booth-space at events, sponsoring conference travels, providing rack space etc. But if it's in the BEST interest of the members to have a larger group come in and take over then what is the harm? What is the alternative, have members pay membership fees? Corp Sponsorship?

I agree on much of this. But as with most things it comes down to money. Do members have a financial incentive to join and what is the financial model to keep the Coop moving forward as a success.

David D

Patrick

Love the Borg comment.

Great thread. Old topic. It recycles every couple of years. Not to speak
for telx or Mike L but I do not think anyone was motivated to Borg anything
but to support AIX. 10Gig ports are expensive.

I like the idea of more exchange points in that they usually provide more
recovery pts and redundancy, allow the sharing of skills and knowledge in
the local community, and provide flexibility for growth and change of the
internet. How many COs do we have? There has long been the argument of how
many IXs are needed, would it be 1 per state? What happens with Voip, IPtv
etc.

As for coops I think the argument is would the larger traffic players feel
comfortable connecting and making it a part of their networks? Who are the
anchors and 1st movers? What are the guarantees that any investment in
infrastructure needed to get there will be recovered over X years... Will
the coop fold before that pt? Wll it have the resources to upgrade.

I so not think a poison pill is needed. Perhaps just a group or company
championing Coops and giving them booth-space at events, sponsoring
conference travels, providing rack space etc. But if it's in the BEST
interest of the members to have a larger group come in and take over then
what is the harm? What is the alternative, have members pay membership fees?
Corp Sponsorship?

I agree on much of this. But as with most things it comes down to money. Do
members have a financial incentive to join and what is the financial model
to keep the Coop moving forward as a success.

David D

Love the Borg comment.

Thanx.

Great thread. Old topic. It recycles every couple of years. Not to speak
for telx or Mike L but I do not think anyone was motivated to Borg anything
but to support AIX. 10Gig ports are expensive.

I like the idea of more exchange points in that they usually provide more
recovery pts and redundancy, allow the sharing of skills and knowledge in
the local community, and provide flexibility for growth and change of the
internet. How many COs do we have? There has long been the argument of how
many IXs are needed, would it be 1 per state? What happens with Voip, IPtv
etc.

As for coops I think the argument is would the larger traffic players feel
comfortable connecting and making it a part of their networks? Who are the
anchors and 1st movers? What are the guarantees that any investment in
infrastructure needed to get there will be recovered over X years... Will
the coop fold before that pt? Wll it have the resources to upgrade.

Who said anything about larger traffic players? What's wrong with a bunch of little guys getting together to trade traffic, for fun and profit?

The smaller guys might have a better focus on performance in the local area (gamers anyone?), plus they tend to pay more per Mbps because they don't have scale, which makes moving a little traffic off more economical.

All that said, Akamai is a pretty big network and they're present at a lot of these "small" IXen. Ditto for local eyeball networks, e.g. Shaw @ SIX, Rogers @ TorIX, etc.

I so not think a poison pill is needed. Perhaps just a group or company
championing Coops and giving them booth-space at events, sponsoring
conference travels, providing rack space etc. But if it's in the BEST
interest of the members to have a larger group come in and take over then
what is the harm? What is the alternative, have members pay membership fees?
Corp Sponsorship?

I agree on much of this. But as with most things it comes down to money. Do
members have a financial incentive to join and what is the financial model
to keep the Coop moving forward as a success.

Several small IXes have grown quite a bit with no or very small membership fees. Look at the ones I mentioned. I think SIX is the largest, but they're all not that tiny.

Yes you are absolutely correct. Smaller players doing this for fun and
experimentation if not only a good idea, I believe it is critical for the
internet to grow and change. Ask UUNET how long it takes them to get
approval to implement something big....or even small.
Two pts thought. First, the cross connects at most of these locations are
still going to be a major monthly INVESTMENT unless the colo provider gets
involved. As was stated earlier $500 MRC has to be justified be costs
savings or other benefits.
Second, I have heard a lot of talk about SIX over the last year or so and
there is no guarantees that situation won't change. Telx and others can do a
fine job. I have not heard Any2 mentioned and their traffic levels have been
very good while keeping ports cost effective. Can that model scale?

Basically it's about the community deciding to support something. Perhaps
it's more about the players then the best model. This business is still run
significantly on trust and reputation of the people running the
infrastructure. No?

David

TorIX, for many years, was financed by announcing an upcoming expediture, and
waiting to see if one of the members stepped up (or usually, the member
suggesting the expenditure, also covering its cost), and if no-one was
willing to foot the entire bill, the hat was passed around until it filled
sufficiently.

they have since formalized into a not-for-profit (i stepped away,
physically and involvement-wise), but my understanding is that financially,
it is using the same funding model.

TorIX was initially founded by driving a stake (a single Cisco 2900 as i
recall) in the ground and inviting all-comers (each having to simply pay
to drag connectivity to the stake).

the initial membership was small to medium (quasi-large) ISP's, the largest
of which were finding they were locked out of the incumbent IX (CanIX) for
various financial and political reasons. (that CanIX appears to have
vaporized, and its name now taken by some colo provider)

some joined for monetary reasons, some for the fun of it, others because it
became a cost effective way to shunt packets (even when weighed against the
"best-effort" management)

TorIX is now sustaining 10Gbps across some 90+ peers, with a decent spectrum
of eyeballs, content-only providers and transit providers.

i would bet that if someone analyzed the data, that it has maintained 5 9's
reliability too, or pretty damn close for a best-effort facility.

Speaking of AtlantaIX, the new business model seems less attractive for
customers than the old one. Can anyone speak to why it got sold? Was it
failing financially or someone just wanted to cash out?

Yup, they are. There are a bit over three hundred IXPs in the world,
about eighty of them in the U.S., and the vast majority of them were built
by ISPs solving problems for themselves, as Deepak is suggesting.

-Bill

That's one of the reasons many of them incorporate as non-profits...
Under the tax laws of most countries, the U.S. and Canada included,
non-profits are legaly protected against acquisition by for-profits.

-Bill

As a board member of SIX, I can tell you that we are not going away any time soon.

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/frame/2008/081108wan1.html

Robert D. Scott Robert@ufl.edu
Senior Network Engineer 352-273-0113 Phone
CNS - Network Services 352-392-2061 CNS Receptionist
University of Florida 352-392-9440 FAX
Florida Lambda Rail 352-294-3571 FLR NOC
Gainesville, FL 32611 321-663-0421 Cell

Most of the Internet Exchanges in Europe that quickly spring to mind as successful, are run as co-operative entities, similar to what you describe.

Specifically, most (all?) of the larger ones over here run as independent bodies that are owned mutually -- that is to say, owned by all of the participators at the exchange. The model is popular, and many hundreds of GB/s of traffic is exchanged on switches run by mutual organisations in Europe.

This works really well because it means there is no commercial/profit motivation to operate significantly above cost-recovery levels. Here, costs mean the CapEx, OpEx, and any community/member sanctioned projects.

Where it breaks is when we have to tell a network with lots of traffic that in order to participate at the exchange, they have to become a member (part owner) of the organisation. Due to organisational or even regulatory issues, it may not be legal to sell services (exchange ports) to non members/owners. This doesn't frighten the engineer asking for a connection, but it causes some concern at C*O level ("err, I might have to declare this to shareholders/regulators...")

I think my message to you would be that if you have a bunch of colleagues at other organisations near you that want to start peering ... configure a switch, peer, and take it from there as you grow ! I hope your new exchange is successful !

Best wishes
Andy Davidson
Declared hat - www.lonap.net (London, UK based mutual IX)