community real-time BGP hijack notification service

Hi, WatchMy.Net is a new community service to alert you when your prefix
has been hijacked, in real-time.

Following the discussion on NANOG a couple of weeks ago on what to do if
your prefix is hijacked, people mentioned that detection-wise, free
services are limited (to certain communities or by not being real-time).

The current fully public and free services will alert you with a few
hours delay.

Over labor day weekend we built a free real-time service. We invite people to try it out during our beta stage.

Register for alerts at:
http://www.watchmy.net/

We hope you find it useful,
Avi Freedman, Andrew Fried && Gadi Evron.

Hello Gadi,

Gadi Evron wrote:

Very good initiative. You can count on me as one of your users.

Note that apparently it doesn't seem to be working as expected yet.
Indeed I already received two false alerts:

Subject:
watchmy.net BGP Alert - seeing {91.198.99.0/24, 6450 3737 701 702 43751}

Body:
Hello, we are seeing 91.198.99.0/24 being advertised with aspath 6450
3737 701 702 43751.

We are alerting you because of the rule you set that is watching for
prefixes that match or are more specific than 91.198.99.0/24, and are
originated with any origin AS other than one of 702,6661,8220

Thanks,

watchmy.net's jack-o-meter

Subject:
watchmy.net BGP Alert - seeing {93.191.216.0/21, 6450 4436 3257 6661 43751}

Body:
Hello, we are seeing 93.191.216.0/21 being advertised with aspath 6450
4436 3257 6661 43751.

We are alerting you because of the rule you set that is watching for
prefixes that match or are more specific than 93.191.216.0/21, and are
originated with any origin AS other than one of 702,6661,8220

Thanks,

watchmy.net's jack-o-meter

Is this normal?

Regards,
APN-RIPE.

Hi Gadi,

I just had a quick play with this, as I've been considering hacking together something similar.

It is trivially easy for an attacker to falsify the origin AS. If 'they' are not doing it already, then I'm quite surprised.
This isn't really a good thing to alarm on, in my opinion. Or, maybe it is, but there should be big bold text explaining that it's not reliable as it's trivially easy to falsify.

To be honest, I can't think of anything better, all the attributes you can monitor can easily be falsified.

My best idea is looking at the AS_PATH for changes, and alerting whenever that happens. You'd obviously get a different path whenever there is churn in the network though. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I suspect having BGP feeds from many many places is the most reliable way for it to happen, I just haven't figured out why yet.

This seems like a service that Renesys etc. could/should (or maybe do?) offer, they seem well placed with all their BGP feeds..

I've been using IAR and PHAS, but I've noticed IAR seems to work a
bit better and much faster. Recently we changed our ASN, and seconds
after we started announcing prefixes under thew new ASN I received the
email alerts from IAR. I did not receive anything from PHAS. Although
I have in the past, PHAS seems to be unreliable at times.

As for alerting on AS_PATH changes, I think that more false alarms
would be generated given certain 'techniques' used to 're-route'
traffic to use the best available path. (Internap/FCP).

Maybe a better idea would be if you were able to input your origin asn
and define your upstreams and/or peers, to be alerted on as well. (ie:
Do not alert me on any paths containing 123_000, 456_000, 789_000).

Christian

Hello Gadi,

Gadi Evron wrote:

Very good initiative. You can count on me as one of your users.

Note that apparently it doesn't seem to be working as expected yet.
Indeed I already received two false alerts:

<snip two issues>

Is this normal?

Avi is flying right now, when he lands he will reply directly. We will probably fix all glitches in a day or two.

We appreciate you using the service, and helping us get it right!

Gadi.

Hi Gadi,

I just had a quick play with this, as I've been considering hacking together something similar.

Thank you for taking a look, and if you like to join in and help develop it, you are welcome to.

It is trivially easy for an attacker to falsify the origin AS. If 'they' are not doing it already, then I'm quite surprised.
This isn't really a good thing to alarm on, in my opinion. Or, maybe it is, but there should be big bold text explaining that it's not reliable as it's trivially easy to falsify.

To be honest, I can't think of anything better, all the attributes you can monitor can easily be falsified.

My best idea is looking at the AS_PATH for changes, and alerting whenever that happens. You'd obviously get a different path whenever there is churn in the network though. I'm sure there's a way to do this, and I suspect having BGP feeds from many many places is the most reliable way for it to happen, I just haven't figured out why yet.

You are possibly right, and you are absolutely right that verbosity and documentation need to be better.

We'll get there, and hopefully not too long from now. This is a weekend project, although we definitely intend to get through out TO-DO list.

This seems like a service that Renesys etc. could/should (or maybe do?) offer, they seem well placed with all their BGP feeds..

Probably so, but they are a commercial effort.

I've been using IAR and PHAS, but I've noticed IAR seems to work a
bit better and much faster. Recently we changed our ASN, and seconds
after we started announcing prefixes under thew new ASN I received the
email alerts from IAR. I did not receive anything from PHAS. Although
I have in the past, PHAS seems to be unreliable at times.

As for alerting on AS_PATH changes, I think that more false alarms
would be generated given certain 'techniques' used to 're-route'
traffic to use the best available path. (Internap/FCP).

Maybe a better idea would be if you were able to input your origin asn
and define your upstreams and/or peers, to be alerted on as well. (ie:
Do not alert me on any paths containing 123_000, 456_000, 789_000).

To that I don't need to wait for Avi to land and reply: Absolutely, but that requires another weekend of hacking. :slight_smile:

Again, that is trivially easy to falsify.

My best quick hack solution so far is to fire off a traceroute and make sure that the traceroute gets ICMP TTL expire messages from IP addresses that are in prefixes originated from all the ASes in the ASPATH.
Still forgeable, but a bit more difficult.. still far from perfect though.

It is, agreed. But what is more likely; a simple a prefix hijack or an
all out attack, manipulating origin as, and as_path? While the 2nd is
possible, the first is the most likely, and the basis for all these
"hijack alert" services.

Christian

Everyone with any interest in this topic should look at the MyASN service from the RIPE NCC (which I use and think is brilliant).

http://www.ris.ripe.net/myasn.html

"
The MyASN service notifies network operators when a prefix is announced with an incorrect AS path. An AS path is seen as incorrect when it does not match with a regular expression. As not everyone is familiar with regular expressions, MyASN provides several easy ways to define typical checks, like "the origin of this prefix must be AS x" or "the origin of this prefix must be AS x and transit may be provided through y or z". However, as any AS path regular expression can be set, the MyASN service is suitable for regular expressions gurus as well.
"

To address Nathan's point, I recommend the RIPE service because for such a service to be ubiquitously useful, it needs to have many eyes (a view of routing tables at lots of points on the internet) which is where the very well peered situation of RIS comes into effect. At the last RIPE meeting I think i saw RIS had over 600 peers, which it collects at internet exchange points all over the world.

best wishes
Andy

Andy Davidson wrote:

I just had a quick play with this, as I've been considering hacking
together something similar.

Everyone with any interest in this topic should look at the MyASN
service from the RIPE NCC (which I use and think is brilliant).

I think that most of us (me included) are already using it but the
problem is that they don't have BGP collectors everywhere in the world.
This is in fact a generic issue for BGP monitoring.

So the more we get the best it is and that's why I'll be using Gadi's
BGP monitoring tool (and any other that might come) in parallel with the
one provided by the RIPE.

Note that MyASN will soon be replaced by IS Alarms which is simpler and
as efficient as MyASN:

http://ripe.net/is/alarms/

Regards,
Arnaud.

Arnaud de Prelle wrote:

In this case it's very important to have a lot of collectors broadly distributed listening in many ASes.

For example:

If I know there are two BGP collectors driving this service, and they're in, say, AS701 and AS1239, then if I wanted to do a partial hijack (which might be good enough for my evil purposes) then I could advertise a path which had those ASes stuffed in it and prevent downstream collectors in AS701 and AS1239 from learning the hijack path.

So the more we get the best it is and that's why I'll be using Gadi's
BGP monitoring tool (and any other that might come) in parallel with the
one provided by the RIPE.

Hear hear for Gadi and others offering these tools.

MMC

Note that the attack becomes less and less effective if you're path stuffing ASes, as it will be preferred by fewer and fewer networks. Put collection points in say 10 networks, and the attack becomes pretty useless.
Unless of course you are announcing a more specific prefix than the authentic one.

Nathan Ward wrote:

Arnaud de Prelle wrote:

In this case it's very important to have a lot of collectors broadly distributed listening in many ASes.

For example:

If I know there are two BGP collectors driving this service, and they're in, say, AS701 and AS1239, then if I wanted to do a partial hijack (which might be good enough for my evil purposes) then I could advertise a path which had those ASes stuffed in it and prevent downstream collectors in AS701 and AS1239 from learning the hijack path.

Note that the attack becomes less and less effective if you're path stuffing ASes, as it will be preferred by fewer and fewer networks. Put collection points in say 10 networks, and the attack becomes pretty useless.
Unless of course you are announcing a more specific prefix than the authentic one.

Absolutely - but it depends how wide you want the hijack - a global one is very obvious, but you can see that a very narrow one of some sites it might be harder (take longer) to detect and live longer.

ie. If I just wanted to disrupt a website to a country or region for political reasons or just to get the ad revenue for a small amount of time, then it might be acceptable to limit the scale in order to evade detection.

I'm not saying this is the end of the world, just reenforcing that widely distributed BGP monitors are necessary for detection. It might be that various projects which have these distributed tools etc can help by becoming feeds for these kinds of notification projects.

MMC

i am occasionally asked if there have been real bgp attacks (not slips).
the answer is, of course yes, but there are none which can be publicly
described. when bucks and embarrassment are involved, security through
obscurity seems to rule.

but tony and alex did us an enormous favor by publicly conducting such
an attack, see http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg10357.html

so, what i want to know is which, if any of the tools being discussed on
this thread *actually* did or could detect and/or mitigate the tony/alex
defcon attack.

i appreciate the dozens of tools that detect and mitigate finger or
brain fumbles. but those are not where the black hats are gonna go to
make the big bucks.

randy

Yep, that was my point before.

My concern is that unless there is big bold text saying that it's not a solution, and then reference to longer optional text for those that care about why, people will get a false sense of security.

Hi, WatchMy.Net is a new community service to alert you when your
prefix

I just had a quick play with this, as I've been considering hacking
together something similar.

Everyone with any interest in this topic should look at the MyASN
service from the RIPE NCC (which I use and think is brilliant).

"
The MyASN service notifies network operators when a prefix is
announced with an incorrect AS path. An AS path is seen as incorrect
when it does not match with a regular expression. As not everyone is
familiar with regular expressions, MyASN provides several easy ways to
define typical checks, like "the origin of this prefix must be AS x"
or "the origin of this prefix must be AS x and transit may be provided
through y or z". However, as any AS path regular expression can be
set, the MyASN service is suitable for regular expressions gurus as
well.
"

To address Nathan's point, I recommend the RIPE service because for
such a service to be ubiquitously useful, it needs to have many eyes
(a view of routing tables at lots of points on the internet) which is
where the very well peered situation of RIS comes into effect. At the
last RIPE meeting I think i saw RIS had over 600 peers, which it
collects at internet exchange points all over the world.

I have used IAR, PHAS and MyASN and I can say I would not recommend myASN. It is a cumbersome system and very non-intuitive. It is based on an ASN-centric model, whereby each ASN is in its own realm. So if you manage *one* ASN, perhaps this system might work for you. But if you have about 10 ASNs you want to manage, in one central spot, you are out of luck here. Also, you would expect the system to "auto-learn" what prefixes exist under your ASN and then you would have perhaps check boxes to disable or enable monitoring for specific prefixes. With myASN you have to manually type in each and every prefix you have. The same holds true for the newer http://ripe.net/is/alarms/. They also differentiate between origin and transit ASN. Their summary view doesn't show which prefixes are being monitored. No help or FAQ available yet on the beta alarms system.

PHAS doesn't look at ASNs just prefixes. You have to register each and every prefix via their site at: http://phas.netsec.colostate.edu/subscribe.html
Problem is to remove prefixes you have to totally unsubscribe via:
http://phas.netsec.colostate.edu/unsubscribe.html
You can't manage/unsubscribe individual prefixes. And if you registered years ago before they instituted the ID and key factor for unsubscribing (as I did), you have no way to figure out how to unsubscribe from their email notices. Their notices provide many false alarms based on my observation over the past few years.

The best system so far would be IAR: http://iar.cs.unm.edu/
The email notices are pretty much on time and accurate. Problem is they have changed the system and I believe some forum page/link has gone lost that allows one to manage existing subscriptions as per: http://iar.cs.unm.edu/alerts.php#email

Now for the new boy in town - Watchmy.net. When you register it doesn't say you need at least an 8 char pswd. I did 7. So it wipes out all form data entered (name, phone number, etc.) and makes you start again from scratch. The Web interface seems the most intuitive of all 4 but since I am just starting to use it - I will only discover the warts over the next week.

In general, academic systems like UNM and Colostate are the baby of some post-doc and then disappear after they leave or move on. By nature, CS and EE departments don't like ot care to run production systems. That is why I had high hopes for the RIPE system, which unfortunately, IMHO, is the worst. It is funded via membership dues and one would expect that the authors would poll the RIPE community for what functionality they would need. That has not been done. Even when they get feedback (as far back as 2003) they just ignore it and continue doing the development based on what they *believe* is what we need, rather than *asking* what we need. That is why I am hoping that Watchmy.Net will not only listen to the community needs, but also have a committment for long term maintenance.

Regards,
Hank

The best system so far would be IAR: http://iar.cs.unm.edu/
The email notices are pretty much on time and accurate. Problem is they
have changed the system and I believe some forum page/link has gone lost
that allows one to manage existing subscriptions as per:
http://iar.cs.unm.edu/alerts.php#email

Correction: the page exists although difficult to find. As per Josh: "Once you login on the IAR forums, toward the top left of the page is a "user control panel" button. Click that and go to the "profile" tab. At the bottom of that page is a field: "user_ases".

-Hank

I think I'll need to chime in here, being a user of myASN. I have not tested other systems. To me it seems to work OK. Manual typing etc. is minimized because you can export and import XML; this is the way I entered our prefix information in the database (though if the prefixes change often, maybe updates would be a chore). The database itself AFAIR does not have any restriction on what it's monitoring when you use the advanced interface -- you can insert any AS-path regexes you want, and that way we're managing prefixes from some ~5-10 ASNs. AFAICS, the ASN in login form is only used for identification purposes and in some shortcuts in the basic interface.

I agree that to kickstart monitoring, an auto-learning feature could be used. And that documentation is somewhat sparse :-).

I've gotten a couple of alarms which may or may have been bogus. One academic site was purpotedly advertising one of our prefixes duing one day for a couple of 1-2 hour periods. Upon asking they said they had not done anything special, and said that their upstreams wouldn't accept that kind of prefix from them anyway. Not sure if that was true, but I didn't purse this further.