Cogent sales reps who actually respond

Hi fellow network operators,

Do any orgs here have experience with a good Cogent rep? The rep we got via Cogent’s website is unresponsive to even basic questions. It feels like we are dealing with a bot and copy-pasted replies.

Thanks
Ruldu

The last time I dealt with them, it took a little over 3 months to get them to turn up basic BGP service. To top it off the sales rep was fired in the middle of our deployment. Cogent seems to have higher rep turnover than anything else I've dealt with. Buckle up and have fun!

I have one who calls me bi-weekly even though we have declined to purchase service from them at this time. I’d be happy to provide contact details off-line.

Actually yes, I have a few great contacts over there these days. Very different company from years back.

-Ben.

When they do their cold calls I tend to answer «Call again in 6 months, if you are still with Cogent then.» Most sales reps don‘t survive that long. #SCNR

Just put your real phone number in WHOIS and wait.

--msa

Given their practice of harvesting whois updates in order to spam newly acquired AS contacts, any time it is my decision, Cogent is ineligible as a vendor.

I’ve had no trouble getting their reps to respond when the decision has come from above, but I prefer to avoid doing business with them.

Owen

Probably going to shoot myself in the foot but we have been with Cogent for 14 years and I have nothing but praise for their Service, NOC and my Sales Rep who is top notch.

As usual, everyone's mileage will vary but it seems I am on the luckier side in having this good experience with Cogent as opposed to others on this list.

Mark

Our sales rep has been great, but unfortunately, for him, every time he calls and I ask if Cogent is going to get me IPv6 transit to Google, he has to say no, and then I tell him I can’t purchase any more circuits.

This last comment made me laugh out loud….

In message <E814E5F6-F386-4AAE-BADA-E423D299A4FB@delong.com>,

Whenever asked about Cogent, i just say, “Friends don’t let friends use Cogent.”

I’ve told two of their reps over the past two years that even if the service was free, i wouldn’t use it. And yet, they still call.

-Mike

Please don’t praise or complain like we’re supposed to take it at a total face value. If you don’t like them so much - we are you’re audience. Explain.

If you like Cogent - explain.
If you don’t like Cogent - explain.

Cheers,
Stephen

//please pardon any brevities - sent from mobile//

The argument has been listed numerous times so i didn’t want to bore people:

1. Sprint peering battle. Google it
2. He.net peering battle. Google it.
3. Google IPv6 peering battle. Google it.

All of which point to them being pompous assholes.

They also run their links hot which create latency for anything flowing through it.

Cheers,
Mike

The argument has been listed numerous times so i didn’t want to bore people:

Amusingly in this particular case, I’d say SPRINT started it as SPRINT was the original
"we’re too arrogant to peer with you, buy from us” company.

You left out (as I mentioned earlier) persistent abuse and violation of ARIN WHOIS TOS/AUP.

They also run their links hot which create latency for anything flowing through it.

They seem to have been doing a little bit less of this lately, though…

They are extremely slow to add capacity to existing PNIs when they start to congest.

Owen

If you don’t like Cogent - explain.

Besides the peering issues, they can't stop spamming. If after 20 attempts on the phone you have not picked up, they start to send email.
They abuse whois. They are one of the primary reasons few people put their real phone number in whois.

And I have never talked to that level of incompetence. Tell their sales droids that you want a link over RFC 1149, or that you need BGT (instead of BGP), they will tell you no problem.
Don't even try to ask anything about communities or RPKI; they can't tell the difference between a router and a connected coffee pot. If you must deal with them, record everything.

If someone has a cheap Asterisk trick so when the caller ID says COGENT it goes directly to Lenny I'll take it.

Michel

TSI Disclaimer: This message and any files or text attached to it are intended only for the recipients named above and contain information that may be confidential or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not forward, copy, use or otherwise disclose this communication or the information contained herein. In the event you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this message, and then delete all copies of it from your system. Thank you!...

Regarding the latency, it looks like Cogent isn’t much worse than anyone else. When they are bad, there’s typically someone else bad there with them.

https://www.noction.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/TIER1-AUG-2019.pdf

or point to them treating ipv6 the same as ipv4 when it comes to
peering, tech, ... we are supposed to think ipv6 parity is a good
thing.

randy

or point to them treating ipv6 the same as ipv4 when it comes to
peering, tech, … we are supposed to think ipv6 parity is a good
thing.

Can you elaborate on this? What are they doing/not doing that you take issue with?

Ah, sorry, I didn’t understand your message. Nevermind.