[snip]

Internet service providers in the U.S. experienced a service slowdown
Monday after fiber-optic cables near Cleveland were apparently sabotaged by
gunfire.

[snip]

More:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/082107-gunplay-blamed-for-internet.ht
ml

I guess there will probably be a spec for armored OSP cable now. I just thought it was cool indoors. I never realized Cleveland was so dangerous to telecommunications equipment. :_)

DJ

Or there might suddenly be a reason/market for properly physically diverse
paths which provide partial 1:1 (ie, some services are guaranteed full backup
bandwidth, other services get degraded access) IP paths..

Adrian

Deepak Jain wrote:

I guess there will probably be a spec for armored OSP cable now. I just thought it was cool indoors. I never realized Cleveland was so dangerous to telecommunications equipment. :_)

DJ

I've always figured that Cleveland was dangerous, period.

I don't think the target customer in this case is really in the market for properly physically diverse paths which provide partial 1:1. The
target customer seems to be looking for no-frills, cheap Internet.

Customers in a market for properly physically diverse paths with partial 1:1 probably are already buying Internet from other ISPs.

There is no minimum Internet SLA that all ISPs must meet. ISPs can be as bad as someone in the marketplace is willing to buy.

I was thinking more for Cogent's backbone itself - I fully agree that customers who need uptime need to multi-home and do their path route homework. If a piece of fiber between two POPs on a given backbone fails and there isn't a redundant path (i.e. both sides of a 'redundant' ring ride through the same conduit or on different sides of the same railroad track) and/or the L2/L3 infrastructure isn't robust enough to tolerate such a failure without dropping customer traffic into the bit bucket, then that's definitely a design/operations problem. While customers can't directly influence those decisions, they can either 1) multi-home to different carriers, or 2) vote with their wallets and take their business elsewhere.

jms