Cogent latency / congestion

Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:25:12 +0100
Sender: owner-nanog@merit.edu

As opposed to 'unintentionally sabotaged'? I think there is some
redundancy there ...

Sorry for the cheap shot, it was just too tempting.

Roderick S. Beck
Director of EMEA Sales
Hibernia Atlantic
1, Passage du Chantier, 75012 Paris
http://www.hiberniaatlantic.com
Wireless: 1-212-444-8829.
Landline: 33-1-4346-3209
AOL Messenger: GlobalBandwidth
rod.beck@hiberniaatlantic.com
rodbeck@erols.com
``Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.''
Albert Einstein.

If someone sabotages a rail to stop a train and the derailment takes out
the fiber that is buried in the right-of-way, is that unintentional
sabotage? At least of the fiber?

Just asking...;-}

If someone sabotages a rail to stop a train and the derailment takes out
the fiber that is buried in the right-of-way, is that unintentional
sabotage? At least of the fiber?

That's not sabotage at all.

As it relates to the fiber, its not "deliberately and maliciously destroying [fiber]"... unless the goal was to cause a derailment which hurt the train operator both from the operation of the train and subsequent revenues they might lose from fiber operations along the same
right-of-way -- then *that* would be sabotage.

In the case you outlined above, barring other motivations, the fiber would be "collateral damage".

That said, Cogent's page says nothing about sabotage (status.cogentco.com) and I can't find the reference on teliasonera's page.... Link please?

DJ

Deepak Jain wrote:

That said, Cogent's page says nothing about sabotage (status.cogentco.com) and I can't find the reference on teliasonera's page.... Link please?

The updates I received from Telia have only been verbal, but they indicated that an entire span of fiber would need to be replaced and that the segment could not be spliced (they didn't say "sabotage"). The quote I included earlier was from wcix.net rep Dennis Nugent's post in this thread: Telia is reporting a fiber cut in the US - any other carriers impacted? | Web Hosting Talk

I figured it would be better to include his written updates from Telia instead of paraphrasing my conversations with our account team.

-Eric