Cogent charging 50/mo for BGP (not IPs, the service)

Has anyone else dealt with this mess? Even my Cogent rep admits it’s unique to their business.

Yes. Our service didn’t start out this way, but a few years ago they added that. At least my rep at the time quoted me out with the fee added into it. I believe IPv6 BGP is free.

Yep we pay it on our circuits, begrudgingly. Wouldn’t mind it as much if it actually delivered me every BGP prefix in the global routing table…

Draw your own conclusions... :slight_smile:

That sounds like the BS the first company I worked for tried to pull.

One would think they'd welcome customers bringing their own IP space since it saves them money by not using up precious Cogent IPv4 address space.

Hell, I even have BGP for v4 and v6 over my CenturyLink biz fiber, and its available as part of the enhanced package they offer with no extra fees.

Yes - we just renewed/ upgraded and they hit us with it - pushed back at the lower the bandwidth cost a little bit to compensate for it

I view Cogent IP space as a way to lock customers to their service, ie make them sticky.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

They charge it even if you’re using your own address space. It’s a fee simply for establishing BGP with them on a given circuit. I believe if you used static routes and their space, you would not have to pay it.

I was told they only charge it if you have bigger than a /29 from them.

They gave me a free /29 and then when I reminded them about BGP they popped up another agreement for $50/mo. This was today.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

We pay it too and I’ve asked to have it waived

-Ben

Indeed, its a one time fee to setup BGP. And as a side note,
I’s also separate for v4 and v6 sessions.

I was also taken aback when i heard it the first time.

What Cogent charges is not a one time fee, its monthly recurring

Here in the US it is unheard of. So far for every turn up I have done in Europe or Asia we were charged a separate BGP session fee.

On: Friday, October 19, 2018 10:03 AM, Jeff Waddell said…

Here in the US it is unheard of. So far for every turn up I have done in Europe or Asia we were charged a separate BGP session fee.

Not unheard of… requested several new quotes in the last few months and at least 2 included $50/mo charge for BGP.

LQ. Marshall | Sr. Network Engineer | RegEd

My memory could be dodgy, but I think I recall seeing something similar
on an order form they sent us for an upgrade (or turn-up) a few years
ago. We pick them up in Amsterdam.

That said, the fee not being explicitly on the order form does not mean
it's not being charged. If I were Cogent and really needed the money, I
wouldn't mention it on the order form, but just wrap it into the turn-up
NRC or service MRC.

That Cogent are explicitly highlighting it in an order form is to send
another message, or create an industry standard.

Mark.