clued/interested LEO list

I'm creating a list of clued and/or interested LEO's, who would like to
be part of CLOSED/PRIVATE/SECRET online communities such as anti-botnets, anti-spam, anti-phishing, etc. mailing lists, and/or get information in their area of responsibility.

I feel such a resource has been needed for a long time, so I just decided to sit down and get it done.

If anyone has someone to add, I'll be working on it in the next couple
of weeks.

Gadi.

Isn't there already one 'secret handshake' club in existence already?

joe mcguckin wrote:

Yes, but unlike there is a need for multiple instances of different governments, there is a need for multiple 'closed communities'.
It will allow them to become corrupt in different ways.

Pete

Petri Helenius wrote:

joe mcguckin wrote:

Yes, but unlike there is a need for multiple instances of different governments, there is a need for multiple 'closed communities'.

Want my snail mail address for sending checks?
I rather get cash.

This will be a resource, not a mailing list.

Gadi Evron wrote:

Petri Helenius wrote:

joe mcguckin wrote:

Obviously I meant to say "...but _not_ unlike...".

Want my snail mail address for sending checks?
I rather get cash.

This will be a resource, not a mailing list.

Depending on the S/N ratio, a mailing list can be an useful resource.

Pete

I'm creating a list of clued and/or interested LEO's,

What is LEO stands for in your terminology?

who would like to
be part of CLOSED/PRIVATE/SECRET online communities such as anti-botnets, anti-spam, anti-phishing, etc. mailing lists, and/or get information in their area of responsibility.

What is different about this then your current botnet tracking lists?

If its anti-spam & anti-phishing, there are several closed mail lists
discussing preventetive measures and tracking down those responsible
for abuse.

Yes, us geeks have many lists to go to to find others who have common interests and goals. What I have found out is that there is close to zero interaction between the various LEOs when it comes to bots, phishing, spam, pron, threats, fraud and anything else you can find in the online world. We take for granted that within a few hours you can contact some netadmin in California, Mexico, Germany, Israel, Japan, Greece, Australia or any other country that is connected to what the press terms the "Information Superhighway".

If the threat is a $100M international bank fraud then the LEOs all play nice and have tools to communicate with each other. But we here all know that all threats are not Defcon I and many are Defcon IV or III. The LEOs don't get involved in online/cyber incidents of the lower levels. And trying to get them to play with each other can take weeks of nudging and often leads to nothing.

I therefore think a list where motivated and clued-in LEOs from many countries can chat among themselves is something sorely lacking. For evidence and subpoenas, they will always have their own internal methods.

-Hank

What is LEO stands for in your terminology?

Law Enforcement Officer. Doesn't have to be a cop.

[snip]

What is different about this then your current botnet tracking lists?

If its anti-spam & anti-phishing, there are several closed mail lists
discussing preventetive measures and tracking down those responsible
for abuse.

Yes, there are. Difference is, it will be a resource.

Today you may almost kill yourself trying to pass actionable intelligence to LE. If it is in a person's jurisdiction, you will know who to pass it to. How about Kentucky? How about Korea? Israel? Romania? NYC?

Same would go to finding the LEO's that are clued and/or interested enough, and offer them the chance to be added to said communities.

The listing will probably not be public, but hey, what can we do?

Gadi.

I therefore think a list where motivated and clued-in LEOs from many countries can chat among themselves is something sorely lacking. For evidence and subpoenas, they will always have their own internal methods.

-Hank

First goal is to locate them. That's what I'm trying to do.

People don't seem too interested in helping with their own contacts (what a surprise), so we'll start small.

I'm not worried though. You know me when I put my mind to get something done...

Gadi.