Cisco interface - GB of transfer software

Good morning all,

I hope my post isn't too off topic but I was wondering if anyone is using some open source or purchased software that would give me the monthly Data transfer from cisco switch ports so I can monitor/bill against some hosting customers. I know we can create our own but looking to see if there was something that anyone is using and recommends.

Thank you very much

Dale Turner

I would be interested in this as well.

I like to use ntop (from ntop.org) for this, along with MRTG. Others prefer cacti. I found MRTG easier to setup. It comes down to personal preference.

Blake Pfankuch wrote:

I like to use ntop (from ntop.org) for this, along with MRTG. Others prefer cacti. I found MRTG easier to setup. It comes down to personal preference.

MRTG provides graphs of usage, but I'm not aware of it providing a monthly total usage (or 95% or other) in report form (though would be happy to learn otherwise).

Does ntop provide a way to generate a monthly report?

I believe the others posting are interested in this from a billing perspective. I share their interest.

Hi!

MRTG provides graphs of usage, but I'm not aware of it providing a monthly total usage (or 95% or other) in report form (though would be happy to learn otherwise).

Check RTG.

Bye,
Raymond.

Daniel Senie wrote:

I believe the others posting are interested in this from a billing perspective. I share their interest.

Cacti and MRTG both have support for rrdtool backends. How the rrd is processed is up to you. A simple script to poll data and do some basic math and email the results, or generate a graph. Cacti has several plugins for sending reports. MRTG users tend to just script additionals. It's not as gui oriented as cacti, IMO.

Each has pros and cons. If you have a sound internal php/mysql setup, cacti is a breeze and the plugin php scripts are cute for the non-techies.

-Jack

I have had good success with Netflow data to solve this, and if you
don't mind spending a little money, Scrutinizer is a good tool to use.

Mike

Dale Turner wrote:

I hope my post isn't too off topic but I was wondering if anyone is
using some open source or purchased software that would give me the
monthly Data transfer from cisco switch ports so I can monitor/bill
against some hosting customers.

Dale,

I use MRTG with the mrtg_totals.pl script. It does a pretty decent job:

Yahoo | Mail, Weather, Search, Politics, News, Finance, Sports & Videos

If you're already running MRTG (or set it up), it's easy to add on to
your environment.

v/r
Shane

Same here. I bill my customers on 95% percentile. I use Advent's
Manageengine Netflow Analyzer

MRTG + GBGraph + 95th.pl allows for MB/GB/port/vlan and also 95th percentile on same.

It doesn't take much to build a small report that picks up on the files left behind by 95th.pl and GBGraph.

Paul

Paul Kelly
Technical Director
Blacknight Internet Solutions ltd
Hosting, Colocation, Dedicated servers
IP Transit Services
Tel: +353 (0) 59 9183072
Lo-call: 1850 929 929
DDI: +353 (0) 59 9183091

e-mail: paul@blacknight.ie
web: http://www.blacknight.ie

Blacknight Internet Solutions Ltd,
Unit 12A,Barrowside Business Park,
Sleaty Road,
Graiguecullen,
Carlow,
Ireland

Company No.: 370845

RTG is a great solution for 95th percentile if you are building your own
system since it puts everything into an SQL database and comes with a
nice php front end to start with.

John van Oppen
Spectrum Networks LLC
206.973.8302 (Direct)
206.973.8300 (main office)

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Cheers

Dale Turner

Dale Turner wrote:

http://www.hughes.com.au/products/traffacct/

Built specifically for byte accounting for billing purposes and can poll a number of devices. Built for billing and free
(though not maintained it 'just works').

Brent

Brent Paddon

Director | Over the Wire Pty Ltd
brent.paddon@overthewire.com.au | www.overthewire.com.au
Phone: 07 3847 9292 | Fax: 07 3847 9696 | Mobile: 0400 2400 54 | Direct: 07 3503 4807

Dale Turner wrote: