Betty Burke: Feb 6, 1955 - Nov 7, 2022

With deep sorrow, we announce the passing of Betty Joe Burke, NANOG’s founding Executive Director (2011-2018). We mourn the loss of a mother, grandmother, friend, and an invaluable member of our NANOG Community. Betty left an indelible mark on all who knew her.

During her decades of devotion to NANOG, Betty served as a leader, mentor, and advocate for our Community. Her determination and enthusiasm helped shape NANOG from its inception. She worked tirelessly to help build a thriving community dedicated to "working together for the Internet of tomorrow.”

Her impact on our community began through her work at the University of Michigan and later through Merit Networks. Her impact on the Internet community started with managing a consortium of engineering professionals working to re-engineer and operate the first national high-speed internet backbone (NSFNET).

She also oversaw building the State of Michigan’s most prominent technology center. She coordinated IT conferences composed of an international membership community working to invent the Internet of tomorrow. After 36 years of service, Betty retired from the University of Michigan in 2010. The board then selected her to guide the newly independent NANOG organization in 2011, where she served as NANOG’s Executive Director until 2018.

Her three children will greatly mourn her passing: daughter Jodie (David) Danko, son Todd (Arika) Burke, and daughter Julie (Jason) Brainer, as well as her grandchildren Allison and Danielle Danko, Gage and Jordyn Thrall, and J. Austin and Andrew Brainer. Betty is survived by two siblings, supportive extended family, friends, and an eternally grateful NANOG Community.

For those interested in attending the Celebration of Betty’s life, details can be found on the family’s memorial tribute.

3 Likes

NANOG would not be NANOG without Betty.

She will be missed. Few have had as big an impact on this community as she did. We are all lesser for her loss.

Yes, she made a giant impact on all of us.

I was very sad to hear of Betty’s passing. I did not know her well but I was always impressed how she handled the varying opinions on how NANOG should run with a positive attitude and passion to see the organization succeed. I’m convinced it would not be what it is today without her tireless and selfish contributions. I am sure there was a lot more she did for the organization that we will never know.

1 Like

Betty was such an inspiration and role model in my eyes when I started coming to NANOG (46 was my first). Photos below are some pictures I had snapped of her at a social at NANOG 48 in Austin, TX. She had such a way with talking to others, a genuine compassion and was always so helpful. I was talking about her passing today in the NANOG Program Committee meeting and I was mentioning how we need to do a special tribute for her at the next meeting because she wasn’t just “some random attendee” but rather she “was NANOG” is simply the best way I can put it. For so long she really was the face of NANOG. To say she will be missed is an understatement.

1 Like

So sad to hear this news. Betty was the heart and soul of NANOG -. RIP and Godspeed. My thoughts with her family and friends.

1 Like

Betty is a legend and her impact is felt by so many of us. I got to work with one of the industry bests, she was my boss, friend, mentor and confidante. I appreciated every moment I had with her.

1 Like