AOL and mail-accepting rules

I have a client who is experiencing problems with sending mail to AOL. I am not resposible for their email service (yet) but I’d like to know if AOL has changed their policy on anti-spam / mail receipt for their customers (RBL, SORBS, rDNS validation), or if there’s a real problem with AOL inbound mail for the past 2-3 days.

thanks
-e-

I've seen where AOL recently (past 2 weeks) will temporarily suspend
accepting bulk (mailinglists) email for up to 3 hours due to suspected
spam, even from whitelisted IPs. All queued email eventually flows,
presumably after being verified by humans. No related SCOMP/TOS
notifications are ever returned indicating that all recipients liked
what they got.

-Jim P.

Not that I've heard of, and Spam-L is usually a good place to hear of any such
things.

In the first place they need to read the log files, and see what reason AOL
gives for not accepting the email during the SMTP transaction.

I see a fair proportion of rejected email from AOL currently with "554
Transaction failed", "(HVU:B1)", but assume someone is spamming (or other
junk) is getting through our filters, to the accounts that forward to AOL
accounts, and that this junk contains URLs of sites AOL users don't like.

First, thanks, all, for the quick replies with regards to the AOL email situation. The update I got from my client’s email provider is that they have been blacklisted by AOL (reason not given), and have asked for our assistance in solving the blacklist problem.

I also received one of the bounces from a client employee. It comes not from AOL, but from the outbound SMTP server stating that

Delivery failed 20 attempts: **********@aol.com

SMTP connection failed

-e-

First, thanks, all, for the quick replies with regards to the AOL email situation. The update I got from my client’s email provider is that they have been blacklisted by AOL (reason not given), and have asked for our assistance in solving the blacklist problem.

You really have to look at the log on the mail server. It is made very clear in AOL’s bounces how to go about getting
more information on the block.

James H. Edwards
Routing and Security Administrator
At the Santa Fe Office: Internet at Cyber Mesa
jamesh@cybermesa.com noc@cybermesa.com
http://www.cybermesa.com/ContactCM
(505) 795-7101

Eric Louie wrote:

First, thanks, all, for the quick replies with regards to the AOL email situation. The update I got from my client's email provider is that they have been blacklisted by AOL (reason not given)

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/

They can get info on the various error codes and if need be, there's a toll-free number they can call to talk to a human in the proper department at AOL.