Yahoo is now recycling handles

I, on the other hand, need someone from Yahoo! to contact me, because I decided to test their "email wishlist" feature. Repeated attempts got me nothing but a message saying that my credit card information was incorrect. But when I checked my bill this morning, I have three fifty cent charges against my account (one for each time I revalidated my email address while attempting to use their form). There's no contact page on http://wishlist.yahoo.com, despite the fact that it's an ecommerce page that takes credit cards, and there's no apparent way to contact a human from the main yahoo page. I can always ask my credit card company to refuse the charges, but if Yahoo! is charging credit cards and not providing services, I think someone there needs to know there's a problem. Never mind taking credit card numbers and providing no customer support.

And it's not an isolated incident -- the exact same thing happened to
me last night as well.

Royce

They're just validating a credit card number; that was an authorization which won't be settled, almost certainly.

Makes you wonder why the charges are in triplicate? An authorization takes place once to validate the card certainly, but once the validation is done yahoo should mark the card as good and allow you to party as previous scheduled. This isn't shocking.. Considering almost anything to do with Yahoo! turns into an epic cluster product and service wise. I'm still curious as to how they are actually going to generate money.. Probably a little less curious than they are I'd imagine.. :wink:

"Repeated attempts".

Wonder how many.

Cheers,
- jr 'betting on three' a

Cough.

And it's not an isolated incident -- the exact same thing happened to
me last night as well.

Royce

Cough. :wink:

I'd have more faith in that if a) there weren't three of them and b) they didn't then tell me that my credit card information was invalid. My guess is that their system failed somewhere between posting the charge and clearing it. However, they *are* still in the Pending category on my card, we'll see if they get posted.

I'd have more faith in that if a) there weren't three of them and b) they didn't then tell me that my credit card information was invalid. My guess is that their system failed somewhere between posting the charge and clearing it. However, they *are* still in the Pending category on my card, we'll see if they get posted.

Sure. But the failure is /why/ you have three...
-jra

> There's still the much more minor point that when I tried to "self
> serve" I ended up at a blank page on the Yahoo! web site, hopefully
> they will figure that out as well.

I'm continually amazed at the number of web designers that don't test
their pages with NoScript enabled. Just sayin'.

The whole point of putting JavaScript (and other similar smegma) on a Web Page where it is not needed is to prevent people with smegma filters from being to access the page, and to suggest in no uncertain terms that these people take their business (and their money) elsewhere.

Same applies to Flash. Take your business elsewhere. There is no point in complaining about it. Sometimes, it is a deliberate feature which is deliberately used to attack the visitors of a web site. Prime example is the DHS.

The appropriate party to inform would be the FBI ... The word fraud comes to mind, and millions of 50 centses puts company officers in prison for a long long long time.

The charges did indeed expire rather than get posted. None of which excuses Yahoo!'s complete lack of customer support (and broken charge system), but at least there's that.

So, Yahoo *actually* had a working cust-support at some point?

I obviously missed that boat.

I have had three perfectly valid handles reclaimed in the last three weeks ( my yahoo addr.book is tiny!)

I just let the holders of said handles know the implications of what happened and asked they let everyone else know NOT to use said handle@yahoo
./Randy

I must have missed this one. Citation please?

Recent TOR thing with freedomhosting (?) come to mind...

That one appears to have been the FBI, which is DOJ not DHS. If you have
evidence to the contrary, feel free to bring it out in the open.

Whoops, my bad. Misparsed that acronym.